• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seafood restaurants in La Jolla

catdaddy

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't say that the places serve pretty much the same - Georges has very good seafood dishes, I would avoid 9-10 ( recent tasting menu was a huge disappointment of mediocre dishes).

Honkman,

I really pains me to read this about NINE-TEN. I would really give them another chance. I've had many great meals there including this one documented last summer.

Jason Knibb, the head chef (teamed with his pastry chef, Jack Fisher), recently faced Bobby Flay in Iron Chef America (battle caviar). Unfortunately, he lost but I thought his performance was really solid.

I wouldn't say that the places serve pretty much the same - Georges has very good seafood dishes, I would avoid 9-10 ( recent tasting menu was a huge disappointment of mediocre dishes).

Honkman,

I really pains me to read this about NINE-TEN. I would really give them another chance. I've had many great meals there including this one documented last summer.

Jason Knibb, the head chef (teamed with his pastry chef, Jack Fisher), recently faced Bobby Flay in Iron Chef America (battle caviar). Unfortunately, he lost but I thought his performance was really solid.

Our prefered way to eat in any restaurant is always a tasting menu and since San Diego has only a rather limited number of restaurants which offer tasting menu we always look forward to try new ones out. Unfortunately 9-10 was by far our worst dining experience on 2011 in SD (and we eat out 2-3/week). The restaurant showed so many different mistakes/weaknesses throughout the night that it is unlikely that it was just a bad night. The food was boring, uninspiring and lacked creativity and was overpriced for what you get (especially considering that we had other excellent tasting menus in SD around the same time from Chef McCabe, Schmidt, Martinez). The service was actually beyond laughable (e.g. had to ask for silverware for different courses, had to remind for wine pairing several times, ordered cocktails to drink before tasting menu but got them after second course etc. etc.). It is very rare that we don't go to restaurants a few times but 9-10 was so bad that it will take a lot of time to think about going back. There are many better options for dining in SD.

Honkman,

I have never experienced the problems you described in any of the many times I've been there.

I also found chef Knibb's Jamaican-infused dishes to be creative and inspired.

We will just have to agree to disagree.