• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Visiting Scripps Ranch area

catdaddy

Been to Lucky Seafood and Seafood City. All the fish eyes are dull and gills are brown. Anyone have ideas where some fresh stuff is available. I'd love to make some ceviche.

Well, you might be out of luck...as those two, in my experience, had better quality fish than the big chain stores (Vons, Ralphs, etc). I like Lucky Seafood, but their quality really depends on the day that you go.

You also don't mention exactly what kind of fish you are looking for, but you can try to see if The Fish Boutique (near Trader Joes) has what you need. I can't vouch for the fish counter, but their crab cake sandwiches are very good.

Similarly, if you go up the 15 a little bit, there's FireGrille on Scripps Poway which also sells fish separately. Again, never bought the fish there, but the meals I've eaten at the restaurant were good and the fish fresh.

Those two are more of your mainstream fish (salmon, tuna, etc) fillets. You won't get whole fish from them.

If you're willing to go a little further south, I always like the awesome Mitsuwa market down in Kearney Mesa for my sushi fish needs. And, Zion Marketplace which is right there too is also good.

Forgot to add that on Tuesday from (I think) 4 - 7pm, there's the Mira Mesa Farmer's Market near the high school.

There's a couple that has a truck and they sell local crab and uni. They sometimes have whole fish and oysters.

And, there's guy there that sells filets over by the food stalls as well.