• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moderately crowding the pan

Shalmanese

Virtually every cooking show admonishes you from crowding the pan when searing meat, claiming it causes the meat to steam instead. However, I've found an equally bad problem for me is undercrowding the pan. Nowadays, when I'm searing something, I aim for about 80 - 90% pan coverage to get a superior sear.

My hypothesis is that the parts of the pan not covered by the meat end up getting too hot which can cause the oil to break down and acrid flavors to come out. Furthermore, for the same quantity of oil, crowding the pan causes the oil to rise up further, giving you more of a shallow fry vs pan sear effect. It's true you could just use more oil with less food like restaurants do but it can get tricky dealing with the excess fat.

What do you find works best for you regarding how crowded a pan should be?

PS: I am a guy.

I think that's why it is important to have a range of pan sizes. One size does not fit all when it comes to searing things. Love my electric skillet when I need a large surface area.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I think the issue isn't crowding so much as cooling of the pan by more meat than the pan can handle. Cast iron is harder to crowd than aluminum.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Your are right of course but the issue with cast iron is that it is very hard to determine when the frond is starting to burn because of the "blackness" of the pan. I prefer to use cast iron to sear when I can but I do know that the colour is a problem.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I think the issue isn't crowding so much as cooling of the pan by more meat than the pan can handle.

This has got to be the issue. Think of searing a steak or large fillet of fish. It sears perfectly fine even though the center of the cut is totally surrounded by meat. You just need a hot enough stove to be able to keep the juices leaking from meat from cooling the pan too much.

By some degree of crowding, you significantly reduce surface of the meat exposed to air.

This will reduce radiant heat(sensible heat) loss, convective heat(sensible heat) loss and evaporative cooling (latent heat) of surface moisture.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

I probably do more "overcrowding" than most because in my many years of experience I have found that for my purposes a little crowding is not all that bad and for some meats is to be encouraged.

As long as I can see the bottom of the pan here and there, I don't consider it overcrowding.

One particular meat that benefits IMO from a little overcrowding is the pork chop. I think that they dry out too much when isolated in a pan.

But that's just me. One of my favorite (and most often requested) dishes is "smothered" pork chops and they certainly benefit from being crowded together in the pan.

Another is turkey medallions. I don't want the edges dry and curled up and this is what happens if they aren't crowded in the pan.

However, this is all an individual preference subject and I think everyone has to determine what works and doesn't work for them. If you like your meats or whatever cooked widely separated in a pan, like little islands here and there, by all means do so. There are no cooking police to cite you for doing it "wrong."

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Interesting - I hadn't heard this. Julia Child always says to select a pan that will just accommodate the meat being grilled.

I usually sear my pork chops or veal chops in an All-Clad saute pan that just fits them - perhaps 10% of the pan is not covered - and have no problem getting a fine sear over a medium-high gas burner.