• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Greatest Salad

ChrisTaylor

I'll take a VERY traditional Caesar any time, any day!

Does very traditional mean no anchovy though? I heard the original version didn't have anchovies, but good salt-cured anchovies are crucial to the dish. I want one now just thinking about it!

nunc est bibendum...

I'll take a VERY traditional Caesar any time, any day!

Does very traditional mean no anchovy though? I heard the original version didn't have anchovies, but good salt-cured anchovies are crucial to the dish. I want one now just thinking about it!

Actually whether you believe the Cesar Cardini or Alex Cardini descendants' side of the story... both brothers' version of the salad early on had Anchovies... the Alex Cardini version known in Mexico City as Ensalada de Aviadores up until the 1970's always kept the whole Anchovies... and it wasn't until Cesar moved from Tijuana to Los Angeles and started bottling the dressing that the Cesar was popularized without salted anchovies accommodating to local tastes.

I heard that the original version of the Caesar salad had no anchovies because the Worcestershire sauce used to make it had more anchovies in it back then. They have since changed the recipe for the Worcestershire, so we now need to add anchovies ...

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Tuna Poke.

Best. Salad. Ever.

If by salad you insist on leafy greens, Spinach salad -- with lots of home-cured bacon and backyard eggs.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Tonno e fagioli (tuna and bean salad). Tinned tuna in oil, sliced onion soaked in water to remove sharpness, cannellini beans, salt, pepper, olive oil, balsamic vinegar. Perfection. Thank you Marcella Hazan.

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Kinda partial to Thai salads, you know green papaya or green mango, carrot, cucumber, lots of fresh zingy herbs and searingly hot chillies. Lime, fish sauce and sugar dressing. In the summer I'm seriously addicted to them.

Kinda partial to Thai salads, you know green papaya or green mango, carrot, cucumber, lots of fresh zingy herbs and searingly hot chillies. Lime, fish sauce and sugar dressing. In the summer I'm seriously addicted to them.

My favorites as well. For a meal I like grilled meat tossed with it.

Does the olive salad they use on the Muffuletta sandwiches in New Orleans count as salad? :biggrin: Otherwise, I'd probably have to go with the classic Caesar... with the disclaimer that I don't eat a lot of salad.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I heard that the original version of the Caesar salad had no anchovies because the Worcestershire sauce used to make it had more anchovies in it back then. They have since changed the recipe for the Worcestershire, so we now need to add anchovies ...

No that was just Cesar's story after he started bottling the dressing in Los Angeles as a convenience product.

I don't believe in one Great Salad. There are at least ten.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

My favorite salad has no name: peak season green beans and tomatoes, shredded basil, crumbled french feta, and a lemony vinaigrette.

But if forced to choose among those salads with pedigrees, I'll bow to the nicoise as the greatest I've tasted.