• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recycled Containers

Kerry Beal

Over here on the Home and Away thread where Anna N has challenged us to cook something from a different culture/country every day while I'm away - the subject of liquor bottles that we like to repurpose has come up. Anna and I like Absolut bottles, they are sturdy, the lids fit well and in most sizes they are a bit squat to fit in cabinets more easily. Quiltguy allowed that his favourite were Knob Creek bottles for their great shape and size.

That got me thinking about how many other containers I like to recycle for food storage and the like - and I wondered what others here find useful.

These great big margarine containers I bring home from the hospital kitchen - great for a batch of soup or stew. And of course mickey bottles - perfect for a variety of liquids and sauces.

6264433601_7c4c6ab6ff_z.jpg

I also hang on to worcestershire bottles and similar bottles that have little pour spouts on the top - great for all manner of liquids required in smaller amount.

So what do you save and reuse?

We use the large frozen yogurt containers which we have had for years now, and empty yoghurt containers, of course, but my all time favorites are the flat margarine containers which I collected from a now defunct little breakfast restaurant. They measure just over 8x11, have plain or red lids and I hoard them. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

We use the large frozen yogurt containers which we have had for years now, and empty yoghurt containers, of course, but my all time favorites are the flat margarine containers which I collected from a now defunct little breakfast restaurant. They measure just over 8x11, have plain or red lids and I hoard them. :raz:

Love those ones - they are hard to get your hands on when you aren't a margarine user.