Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pine Nut Source


Shel_B
 Share

Recommended Posts

Years ago I used to get pinion pine nuts, and then they seemed to disappear in my local stores, replaced mostly with pine nuts from China. There is a difference in texture and flavor, and now I'd like to find a good, reliable source for pinion pine nuts, or even other types of pine nuts, from trees grown here in the US, especially in the western and southwestern parts of the country. Thanks!

 ... Shel


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suggest you poke around on Google. This looks like a decent option, and reasonably priced at $25/lb incl shipping. There are plenty more options available. Maybe others have some firsthand experience. There are also sellers on ebay selling the soft shell Nevada/Utah pine nuts for <$20 lb incl shipping.

Edited by emannths (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can order them NOW but they won't ship till next month.

This is the only reliable supplier if you want shelled nuts.

They have great flavor but you have to keep them in the fridge, freeze if not using them within a few weeks.

There is also this company that gets wild harvested pine nuts from pickers in the southwest states.

You have to shell them yourself.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks gang! I discovered the companies noted by andiesenji but didn't know how good their product is or how reliable they are. I don't mind shelling some nuts myself although for certain situations shelled would be very handy to have. Emannths' suggestion seems like it may be worth a try. Have either of you tried the suppliers you referenced?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

 ... Shel


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks gang! I discovered the companies noted by andiesenji but didn't know how good their product is or how reliable they are. I don't mind shelling some nuts myself although for certain situations shelled would be very handy to have. Emannths' suggestion seems like it may be worth a try. Have either of you tried the suppliers you referenced?

I've purchased from both the ones I mentioned in my post. I've also purchased from a family of Native American pickers in Bishop, CA, who sell to the company in Missouri and they gave me the name and phone number a couple of years ago when I called them after they had already sold theirs.

I buy the shelled nuts and split the order with friends. The cost is more than other suppliers but they are American grown, nothing from china and they are fresh! The flavor is exceptional, especially for baking.

They sell out rapidly, which is a good indication of their quality.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
  • 8 years later...
On 10/20/2011 at 12:53 PM, andiesenji said:

You can order them NOW but they won't ship till next month.

This is the only reliable supplier if you want shelled nuts.

They have great flavor but you have to keep them in the fridge, freeze if not using them within a few weeks.

There is also this company that gets wild harvested pine nuts from pickers in the southwest states.

You have to shell them yourself.

 

Does anyone (especially @andiesenji) have an update on reliable sources of pine nuts in/from the USA? The first link in Andie's post above is dead. Although I like the idea of the second source, I know myself well enough to know that I should not purchase unshelled pine nuts. (Unshelled pecans are bad enough!)

 

Failing that, a reliable source of pignolas from Italy, or Spain? 

  • Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

 

Does anyone (especially @andiesenji) have an update on reliable sources of pine nuts in/from the USA? The first link in Andie's post above is dead. Although I like the idea of the second source, I know myself well enough to know that I should not purchase unshelled pine nuts. (Unshelled pecans are bad enough!)

 

Failing that, a reliable source of pignolas from Italy, or Spain? 

 

If Italy, Spain, or Portugal is OK these are the pine nuts that I use...

https://nuts.com/nuts/pinenuts/mediterranean.html

 

Recently I made a batch of pesto and I couldn't help nibbling and remarking to myself how sweet these pine nuts are.  You will pay through the nose for them however.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Any updates on finding pine nuts not from China or Russia? (Glad to see nuts.com has them from a variety of sources. Thank you, @JoNorvelleWalker.) I'll bring some home from our next, long-delayed SW road trip, but in the meantime, I'm bereft.

  • Like 1

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ● #TacoFriday observant ●  Twitter    Instagram

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Any updates on finding pine nuts not from China or Russia? (Glad to see nuts.com has them from a variety of sources. Thank you, @JoNorvelleWalker.) I'll bring some home from our next, long-delayed SW road trip, but in the meantime, I'm bereft.

 

Why do you want those especially, instead of Mediterranean, which I believe come from a specific tree type?

 

These pine nuts are monocultivar. They grow on Pinus Pinea trees, a species of Mediterranean pine tree. Pinus Pinea, also known as stone pine, Italian stone pine, umbrella pine, and parasol pine is a tree from the pine family (Pinaceae) native to the Mediterranean region.

 

https://www.gustiamo.com/big-pine-nuts/

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

 

Why do you want those especially, instead of Mediterranean, which I believe come from a specific tree type?

 

I love Med pine nuts, but the Southwest ones I've had (from Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona pinyon pines) have been better.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ● #TacoFriday observant ●  Twitter    Instagram

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Priscilla said:

I love Med pine nuts, but the Southwest ones I've had (from Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona pinyon pines) have been better.

 

You did ask about Chinese and Russian product...perhaps these Trader Joe nuts are more to your liking...

 

image.thumb.png.ca3475667d3f1669d5cde075a1f19dd7.png

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, weinoo said:

 

You did ask about Chinese and Russian product...perhaps these Trader Joe nuts are more to your liking...

 

 When I checked a TJ's label a couple of months ago, they were Russian. If I see Korean pine nuts, I shall try. Thanks!

 

 

 

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ● #TacoFriday observant ●  Twitter    Instagram

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...