• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunflower Farmers Market

Icanmakeit

My friend who works for the one in Boulder CO kind of compared it to a Whole Foods on a budget. It just opened a few days ago and the place has of course been a madhouse. I'm letting the craziness die down before I go in the check it out. Their flyers look intriguing and the prices very decent.

We have a ton of grocery stores around here to choose from and having a new 'face' in the crowd is nice.

Two here in Santa Fe. Produce selection/prices/weekly specials are quite good. For me, the reason to visit.

Here they carry Rosie chickens.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

We have one in Las Vegas. They do some things much better and much less expensive than Whole Foods. Some of their prices (bread, for instance) are ridiculous. At least here.

They're certainly worth including in your rotation of markets.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

have one close by in Denver, they are good for some things, but not across the board.

I get most of my cheese there, and all my pork, (Kroegers only has the pork that has alltheinjected stuff in it.)produce is also very good...(and the butchers are really sharp and helpful)

Bud

• 1 month later...

My friend who works for the one in Boulder CO kind of compared it to a Whole Foods on a budget. It just opened a few days ago and the place has of course been a madhouse. I'm letting the craziness die down before I go in the check it out. Their flyers look intriguing and the prices very decent.

We have a ton of grocery stores around here to choose from and having a new 'face' in the crowd is nice.

Sadly, my lofty expectations were crushed. Their advertised "jumbo" artichokes for $2 dollars each were small as were the "jumbo" pomegranetes for $1. My local discount grocery stores have a bigger variety and much better pricing than the Sunflower "Farmers" market. The dinky meat counter carried no local brands (I live in a very Ag heavy area surrounded by all kinds of meats and produce etc). Their ad bragged about the frozen shrimp for $3.50 a lb. Very whimpy and it was cooked, frozen shrimp.

I was impressed by the choice of cheeses, however again, no local brands.

I probably won't make this store a regular stop as I can't afford it.

I like the Sunflower Market here in Denver. I have a grocery budget so tight that it squeaks but I still want to feed my family good, whole, made from scratch food that is organic where it counts. They have good prices on a lot of their bulk items--flours, nuts, dry mixes for falafel and refried beans that don't have a lot of additives. They have good produce specials, and store brand organic canned goods and peanut butter that are really good quality and much less expensive than Whole Foods. Bulk coffee beans that are reasonably priced. They have a good, affordable cheese selection. I'm often surprised at the register at how low the total is, which never happens to me at other grocery stores. We don't buy much meat there, and nothing from the bakery or ready-to-go meals, so I can't speak to that.

• 4 weeks later...