• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help! Trends in US Food 2000-2011

Hi all, looking for help! I'm updating an article on general food trends in the US that had originally covered 1960-1999, but need to add the last 10 years as well. Wonder if I can pick your brain for fads that you remember from the period. Just off the top of my head, I've got:

Specialty salts (i.e., Himalayan pink salt)

Foam

Sous vide

Bite-sized desserts (cake pops, etc.)

Cupcakes

Red Velvet Cake

Mojitos

Specialty brewed beers and artisanal liquors

Flavored "martinis"

Quinoa

Locavore

Sliders

Acai/goji berry

Gluten-free

If anyone can think of particularly trendy or favorite items from the 2000s, I'd love to hear. Or if there's a particular food or drink that became really OUT during that period, that would be interesting, as well.

Thanks for your help!

Sylvia

Cheftestants

"4-3-2-1 Step away from the table"

Food and Restaurant Bloggers

Molecular Cuisine

Liquid Nitrogen

Hanger Steak

Bistro Burgers

Cheese Plates

Heirloom vegetables

20% standard tip

Tipping for counter service

(Semi-)Decent Airport Food

Craft Sodas

Truffle Oil

Hog parts previously made into scrapple

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Wow, great stuff. All very helpful -- I'd completely forgotten about the bacon thing. And yes, the impact of the internet -- and chef contests! -- are all really important. Kale I missed entirely -- off to go do some research there.

Thank you all so much!

One more question -- salted caramel: was that more 90s or 2000s? I'm still busy eating it myself, so I consider it ageless...:)