• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Oranges with Knife & Fork

DianaB

A simple question but I would much appreciate any advice:

Some years ago I shared a table at a conference dinner where we were offered fresh fruit at the end. A woman sitting opposite proceeded to peel and eat a large orange with knife and fork. It was most impressive, no fuss or mess and I would love to be able to do this. Is anyone familiar with the technique and able to advise?

Your help would be very welcome.

Diana

Can you describe what you saw? I am having trouble imagining it. Was the orange held down with the fork so the knife could slice off the rind, and the both used the cut it in rounds?

Thanks so much azlee, I shall get practising!

I have a list of small things I'd like to achieve just for pleasure and this is one. Another is uncorking champagne with a sword which was popular in the 19th century I understand....

Thanks again for the links

Diana

It always blows me away when something I take for granted is news to other people! Fork, Knife & bottle of Salted Chile Dust is standard operating procedure for eating Mexican oranges. (The juice bursting green exterior Valencias with super sweet flesh grown in Tampico & Veracruz)

I did see a version that fascinated me in the Mediterranean years ago with the knife, not the fork. The ladies had lovely painted nails and I wondered about peeling those oranges served with dinner. They held the orange in one hand, sliced off top and bottom, scored well into maybe 6 sections and used the edge of their thumb to removed the skin. No peel under the fingernails thing going on.