• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Last Meal - Not What, But Who

weinoo

Chefs (and others) are often asked what they would want to eat for their final meal.

I'm interested not in what you would want to see served at that table, but who you would like to eat with. Let's say you could have dinner with 3 other food world luminaries. Past or present.

Who would that include? And why, if you feel like delving into that subject?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Even though it isn't a requirement of the original question, I'm going to stay among the living and current with my picks for no particular reason (and I have to confess that if I could have dinner with any three people for my final meal, none of my top picks would be food luminaries).

Heston Blumenthal's relentless pursuit of getting things the way he wants them to be gets him on my list. Yes, he goes to some extremes sometimes to make the point he's trying to make but at the heart of it is something that every person who cooks should strive for, making every dish as good as it can be (for you) no matter how unconventional getting there may seem.

I have to bring a pastry chef onboard because, in a perfect world, that's what I would do exclusively. That makes for a tough decision, a lot of names come to mind as people I think would be interesting to talk to on the subject of pastry and desserts, but for various reasons... I think I would go with Michael Laiskonis.

Because it's been a new passion of mine for the past just over a year, I think I want the final member of the dinner party to be someone from the cocktail world. Unfortunately, I don't really know who the luminaries are in that area. Actually, I know who some of them are but I don't know enough about any of them to know who to invite. So I guess I'm leaving it hanging at two for now while I give it some thought.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Chefs (and others) are often asked what they would want to eat for their final meal.

Wouldn't that be a more interesting subject than who you'd like to eat with?

And has been discussed at length on eGullet here. The Chef last meals were discussed here.

Wouldn't that be a more interesting subject than who you'd like to eat with?

And has been discussed at length on eGullet here. The Chef last meals were discussed here.

Thanks Heidi. For who, Scoop probably nailed it pretty well up above.

Tonight, I would say . . . Samuel de Champlain, Josephine Baker and Fergus Henderson. All foodies in their own way.

Edited by Peter the eater (log)

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Dorie Greenspan, Mario Batali, and Rick Bayless, for those among the living. They all seem like they'd be nice to talk to, non-pretentious, and willing to share lots of interesting stories. I guess if it was my last meal, I wouldn't need to worry about taking recipe notes though :wink:

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown