• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sbraga

zeffer81

• 1 month later...

Ate there last week. Small plates menu, prix fixe required if seated, a la carte at the bar. I had sweetbreads with a tonnato sauce that were heavily breaded and lost the flavor of the sweetbreads, clams with orecchiette which were nice though they used small clams, which needed more cleaning. Duck dish was unremarkable, though well cooked. The dessert was a hot chocolate, (dark chocolate mousse with candied orange) served with home made grand marnier ice cream. Espresso was good, though they use illy rather than a local roaster.

For Holly Moore - they began the meal with a complimentary popover. Couldn't but help think of you...

Good restaurant, though I really do not like the space on Broad Street, and hope it makes it.

• 1 month later...

Four of us had a delicious dinner at Sbraga early last week. The foie gras soup, the sweetbreads, eggplant terrine got things off to a fine start. The artic char and meatloaf were favorites. The four of us split two wine pairings.

But the meal was late and very slow. We had 8:30 reservations, were seated at 9:00 and courses appeared very slowly. The staff and chef were very apologetic, serving additional wine and, despite our protests, comping the whole meal.

After the kinks are worked out, we will enthusiastically go back.

Seems Craig Laban had some service issues there too. Here is his two bell review from last weekend.

I have to say, if a server told me the soup was "life-changing" I would have to slap them after I got up off the floor from laughing. Sounds like the servers are all about talking the over-exaggerated talk, but not walking the walk when it comes to simple service issues. Surprising that no one recognized Mr. Laban when he arrived and let him sit there for half an hour with no menus. Yikes!

Everyone I know that has eaten there has had high praise for the food, but definitely agreed that the service wasn't living up to the high standards set by the food. I will reserve judgement until I've had a chance to go myself, but certainly the limited statistical sample of folks in my world are all in agreement. For what that's worth...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Ate there last night. Food was delicious and at 45 dollars four course tasting menu, a bargain. We sat at the bar ( the part that was overlooking the kitchen). Chef was there all night. Service was very prompt bordering on a little too prompt. Foie gras soup was rich and actually tasted of Foie (no, it was not life changing ;). The least successful coarse was wagyu beef that my son ordered. It was just boring. Watching chefs cook was extremely entertaining. Kinda want to go back tonight but Zahav is calling my name.

• 2 months later...

Been to Sbraga 4 times, including a private dinner for 54 guests.

The food is innovative yet approachable and very well executed. The early service issues seem to be addressed. Wine list has some rare finds.

Great restaurant which I would certainly recommend to friends.