• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you do your pine nut tart?

JeanneCake

I am just starting to research a recipe/method for making a pine nut tart. I'm looking for the filling to containthe pine nuts are, not the crust.

So far, I have two recipes; one is a variation on a nut pie using toasted pine nuts in a filling made with whole eggs, corn syrup, a little bit of flour - sort of like a pecan pie filling; and then the other is a frangipane type filling made with almonds and pine nuts. I remember the Silver Palate recipe that uses the pine nuts to make a cream with (like a walnut or almond cream, with butter, eggs, ground nuts, sugar) with fresh raspberries on top, but my impetus for making this is to have a third option in a vaguely Mexican inspired dessert trio (the other items are a spiced chocolate cheesecake pop, a mango cremeux and coconut panna cotta verrine and I wanted something crunchy hence the pine nut tart idea...

Have you had a pine nut tart? How did you like it? What kind was it?

Last fall I did a three nut tart with pecans, almonds, and pine nuts. I used a pecan-pie like mix, but with honey instead of corn syrup and a good splash of orange liqueur. I'm not finding the recipe on my hard drive, which is too bad, because I wanted to make them again this winter. If I can find it I'll share.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, better late than never, here is what I like for my version of pecan pie. At work I make these as 4" tarts with a sweet almond crust. I think it would be good with all pine nuts, too. I use 3 parts pecans to 1 part sliced almonds to 1 part pine nuts, lightly toasted.

For "the goo" (makes about 2 quarts?)

8 oz butter, melted

zest 2 oranges

8 lg eggs

16 oz sugar

19 oz honey

1 tsp salt

1/2 c orange liqueur (triple sec)

1/2 c orange juice

The orange cuts the sweetness a bit, but you still get the honey and the gooiness.

I like this! It's nice to have something else to offer that's crunchy; I tried Nancy Silverton's almond tart and didn't really care for it; but this looks wonderful and I'm going to try it in a week or so when there's a lull.

Thank you for sharing it! :biggrin:

I have done the frangipane style one before, with a shortbread crust. After baking, I brushed with a sambuca s/s and glaze with a neutral glaze, but you could use another s/s...we had some fantastic tequila candies in Mexico last year, the flavor was subtle, not what you would expect and sooooooo good