• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yangzhou Dining

basquecook

I am in Yangzhou for a few days and was wondering if anyone had any dining suggestions. So far I have heard of Ye Chung which is a 200 year old dim sum spot but, that is about it. i know the town is known for fish head meatballs and pork head meatballs and their fried rice. But does anyone know where the most famous places are to get these things are.

Yesterday or today I guess, whichever way you look at it, i went to Ye Chung and had their dim sum..I ordered the 30 rmb set dim sum menu. It included a plate of soy beans, a bean soup, a large plate of shredded tofu, a plate of pickled vegetables, some cubes of tofu, a large bowl of soft tofu in a spicy sesame sauce and various dumplings.. Some steamed bread dumplings one filled with scallion, one was pork, one with bean, and with chicken cooked in wine.. Then there were thin pot sticker dumplings.. One was a pork soup dumpling, and one was a rice filled dumpling. This was all for about 4 bucks.

Some of the most delicate and well made dumplings i have ever had.

Thanks for you help.

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

I am also on my way to Xian for a couple of days before heading down further south.. if anyone has any recs for Xian, i would appreciate that too.. I don't have the flight or hotels booked or pretty much anything.. staying in local hotels, like 50 bucks a night type places.. If anyone could just point me in the right direction of even what area to stay, i would appreciate it.

THanks.

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

In Xi'an, head for the Muslim quarter for a fix of Yangrou Paomo (羊肉泡馍 yáng ròu pào mò) or the "Xi'an hamburgers" (肉夹馍; ròu jiá mò).

http://wiki.egullet.org/index.php?title=Rou_jia_mo

The night markets in Xi'an are among the best in the country. Try the one near North-West University (西北大学 xī běi dà xué) which is just outside the city walls at the south-west corner.

180px-Rou_jia_mo.jpg

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 3 weeks later...

tried to upload photos, it was too difficult.. i have linked to where i wrote it up on another board.. i will be following it here if anyone has any comments..

thanks

http://mouthfulsfood.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24781-yangzhou/page__view__findpost__p__1164509