• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

America Needs To Know!

bourdain

Dear Eric,

I was confused and intrigued by the use of the phrase "light in the loafers" in your masterful book, RETURN TO COOKING. (The perfect Christmas gift). I wonder what was meant by this phrase? Also. Could you please describe the relationship between overexposure to techno music--and the creative process of haute cuisine?

EDIT BY Jason Perlow: Chef Eric, this is your 26th question.

No book for you, Tony. :raz:

abourdain

Very good question Tony!?!?!?!?!!F...?!

I do not have loafers anymore, but only fancy sneakers; I guess I'm getting older because to be in the loafers all day killed my lower back.

When I am in the kitchen, I can move very fast and very silently; also when I physically cook, I do not feel my weight anymore. I am focussed on the process. I think this is why some cooks say I am "light in the loafers".

I go once a month to a techno club to (obviously dance) and release all the stress. It's excellent exercise to empty your head from all the problems...Because I am older and wiser, I go after hours from 8:30am to noon; that way I have a good night's sleep. After dancing I go for lunch with my wife.

In my kitchen at home I sometimes put on techno; it gives me energy and rhythm.

Creations? Techno doesn't really help...although I create at night and the music keeps me up.