• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Pounding" mochi in a Kitchenaid mixer

_john

As much as I would like to have a traditional granite mortar and a wooden pestle and the backyard to put it in and the friends with free time to help, I don't. I do, however, have a Kitchenaid.

Rinse then soak the rice for a least 3 hours, overnight if you have the insight. Steam it for about 20 minutes or until the rice loses it's opaque center and becomes a uniform texture. In my Kitchenaid Pro 600 I must cook at least 2 gou, or 300ml of dry rice, for it to work effectively. After the rice has finished steaming transfer it to the bowl of the KA and attach the dough hook. Start on speed 2 and move to speed 4 when it gets smoother. It usually takes about 10 minutes for the mochi to reach the consistency I like. If the consistency is too firm you can add hot water little by little. If it is too soft you may need to adjust your soaking time or cooking method. If you would to mix it for a longer time I recommend fitting a bowl of hot water underneath the mixing bowl, although it is a little tricky to maneuver (place the bowl first and then pour the water from a kettle).

Eat it warm as you like, work it into sweets, or let it cool and freeze it for roasting later.

• 2 months later...

New Years means mochi, so we gave this a whirl this weekend with excellent results. I soaked 2 gou in water overnight, rinsed it thoroughly, and dumped it in the rice cooker. I added water up to the 2-gou line and cooked it on the regular cycle. About 10 minutes after it was done, I transferred it to the mixer (5qt lift bowl) with the paddle and beat it on medium-high speed till it was smooth. No need for the dough hook for me. It came out a little softer than perfect (I like it a bit chewy--this was simply soft), but the $6/5lb bag will give me plenty of experiments for half of what a sheet of fresh mochi costs in the store.

Edited by emannths (log)