• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steakhouses

rlibkind

I usually cook my own steaks, with varying success. But SWMBO expressed a desire for a steakhouse meal. Suggestions? I'm partial to rib steaks on the bone (oh, for a good old fashioned Jewish Roumainian steak with lotsa garlic), SWMBO goes for filet mignon/tenderloin.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Just to make it clearer than I did, I'm looking for steakhouse recommendations.

Haha sorry, after I saw you mentioned rib on the bone I assumed you meant cuts offered in steakhouses.

As I've never been to Pennsylvania, I am of no use to you. Carry on.

James.

Is it OK to recommend that you put steakhouse equipment in your house, and do it up right at home?

GOOD infrared searing grill. TEC or similar. Yeah, they're pricey. But so are two meals at a good steakhouse. 'Round these parts, it's $300 plus wine. Six of those, and there's your TEC (or similar) right there. I can blow every steakhouse in Las Vegas except CraftSteak and Carnevino out of the water for the price of some wagyu.

My outdoor kitchen was designed and executed just for steak dinners. I'm already well ahead of the game compared to one steakhouse visit every other month over the course of the two years I've had it.

Edited by ScoopKW (log)

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Of the high end steakhouse chains, I'd go with Capital Grille - great service. I haven't been to any of the locally owned steakhouses (Union Trust, Barclay Prime, etc).

That said, the best steak I've ever had in Philly was the bistecca alla fiorentina for two at Osteria.

BROG, a beer blog

For my money I'd go to Barclay Prime every time. It's pricey but but relatively in-line with other high-end steakhouses, and I just feel like it's a satisfying experience. As far as other steakhouses, the Capital Grill is good, the Palm is just ehhh for the money, and Table 31 was good enough before it started leaning Italian. I'm not saying that it isn't still good, but I haven't been there since the change. IMO, though, Barclay Prime is a clear level above them all. I haven't been to Union Trust but I have had the bistecca alla fiorentina at Osteria and I agree with tim e, it's an excellent steak, full of that dry-aged, mineral-ly funk if that's what you're looking for. Of course, Osteria isn't a steakhouse, but you knew that.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

One of my many food fantasies is a corner bar somewhere in South Philadelphia whose back room serves a thick, aged rib eye for half the price of the Center City steakhouses. A cafeteria glass of house red wine to wash it down.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I haven't been to Union Trust but I have had the bistecca alla fiorentina at Osteria and I agree with tim e, it's an excellent steak, full of that dry-aged, mineral-ly funk if that's what you're looking for. Of course, Osteria isn't a steakhouse, but you knew that.

It is a really good steak. But in addition to it not being a steakhouse, I don't think a fiorentina would appeal to SWMBO, if she's partial to the more tender meats.

(Sorry, I can't help! I don't really do steakhouses, though...)

The Prime Rib has an excellent reputation for steaks.

I keep going to the Palm because it's the only place upon whose wall I was able to finagle my characterture.

When I first read that, I read "charcuterie" for some reason, and thought you had my dream job -- making salumi and bacon and such for steakhouses.

Oh well.

Just for the record, and a completely useless post, I just wanted to mention that today is a complete day off for me, so I'm doing steak. Aged prime rib eye, with creamed spinach and twice-baked truffle and "truffle cheese" potatoes. (No clue about the provenance of the cheese. Just says "Italian Truffle Cheese." Tastes kind of like fontina with truffles. Pretty good, actually. Got it at Costco along with the beef.) The beef will be seared on a kick-ass infrared grill at 1600f. I'm going to serve the meal with a massively big Napa cab. And probably start with a few glasses of Nicky Feui, to celebrate the promotion.

If I were at one of the myriad of Las Vegas steakhouses, I'm looking at $600-800 for the meal, depending on the screwage factor for the wine. As is, I'm in for about $200 in food (and wine) cost.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

We've been to UT multiple times and we enjoyed the food and the ambiance - the oysters particularly, though the meat was very good (fair warning, our last visit was >12mos ago). The fiorentina at Osteria is OK, though anyone from Tuscany would laugh at the definition. We did not hit BP yet.

Barclay Prime it was, and quite a nice meal. Malpeque oysters and rib steak for me, Caesar salad and small filet for her. We shared whipped potatoes, creamed spinach and sautéed mushrooms (all tasty, but all over-salted). She had bubbly rosé, I went for a single glass of red. Creme brulée cake for her, panna cotta for me. Coffee for both of us.

The service was fine (I got a chuckle out of the knife service), the room pleasant, though still like every "designed" restaurant, too noisy. When your waiter offers a penlight to illuminate the menu, you know it's underlit (though he probably figured we're old f-rts and can't see, which is true enough).

As for the meat itself, SWMBO enjoyed her filet and nearly finished the 8-ounce portion, which means she really did like it. Unlike me, she ordered a sauce, the au poive, and thought it superb.

My rib steak was certainly tasty and cooked to order, but it was not the blowout steak I think a steakhouse should offer. Although they may technically be graded differently, the rib steaks I've gotten from Charlie Giunta at the RTM were just as beefy and well-marbled as the prime on my plate. The biggest difference is that Barclay Prime's broiler mavens are much more expert at cooking a steak than I am. (Since I only occasionally cook steak -- and the cut and consistency of the individual pieces of meat vary -- I don't always get it to the degree of doneness I'm seeking.)

Bottom-line: Certainly good, they know how to cook steak, and priced to the market for this type of establishment. I was, however, expecting bigger beef flavor from the steak.

I think I'd rather spend $250 on a dinner for two elsewhere in the future -- but this is more a reflection of my desire for more adventurous eating than any failure of Barclay Prime's. If you want a high-end steakhouse, this fits the bill.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Bob if there's a next time go to Capital Grill or Prime Rib. Excellent service, excellent steaks and some real gems in 2nd label Bordeaux on the wine list at Capital if you know what to look for.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Sounds exactly like when I last went there--some 6 years ago (knife service, pretty bland meat, etc.).

I don't like the feel of the Philly Capital Grill (like them elsewhere) and Prime Rib is a bit stodgy for me. What's a girl to do? Get her steak at Rouge (is it still there? was steps from where I lived--my regular haunt).

Rouge has always made a perfectly serviceable steak or steak frites (depending upon what was on the menu at the time), but it's not a steakhouse by any means. Very different sort of place. Very different sort of menu. There's a choice of ONE steak, usually. That does not a steakhouse make.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol