• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home and Away

Kerry Beal

Yet another emergency threw me off course again yesterday. Today I got up very, very early to try to make up some lost time.

I found a recipe for Egg Rolls a while back which was so very simple that I was making them once a week but then, naturally, I had to complicate the recipe! But it is still relatively painless as it makes use of bagged cole slaw for most of the vegetables with some bean sprouts thrown in for good measure.

Here’s the mise:

Mise for egg rolls.JPG

I find a splatter screen comes in very handy when you want to drain something and cool it at the same time:

draining on splatter screen.JPG

Ready to roll:

ready to roll.JPG

Here they are out of the fryer:

Out of the fryer.JPG

And breakfast!

breakfast.JPG

I will freeze most of them and they become an almost instant meals when I re-heat them for about 15 minutes.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

re Fish Sauce

I always by in a plastic bottle, Thai comes sometimes in plastic

I transfer some to a small plastic other squeeze bottle, with a flip top

i hide the larger bottle somewhere very low pref in the basement or garage.

I wonder how many people have been forced to move out after dropping a 3 crabs glass bottle in there kitchen?

:blink:

re Fish Sauce

I always by in a plastic bottle, Thai comes sometimes in plastic

I transfer some to a small plastic other squeeze bottle, with a flip top

i hide the larger bottle somewhere very low pref in the basement or garage.

I wonder how many people have been forced to move out after dropping a 3 crabs glass bottle in there kitchen?

:blink:

Have not yet dropped the fish sauce but did drop a HUGE bottle of soya sauce which smashed all over my kitchen - it was bad enough. :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have nothing to report from yesterday. I was on call and it was my last day working up north. Took in all the chocolates I've made and coconut macaroons and shared them around with all the departments.

Dinner was whatever leftovers I could find in the fridge - pretty slim pickings. But did get the medical students to come over and pick up soup and various things from the larder that I wasn't prepared to lug home.

Woke up early this am, initially thinking I might spend another day then drive down tomorrow, but by the time I'd packed up stuff decided I might as well head out.

Food today was a couple of nice farm eggs that have lovely yellow yolks that one of the health nurses brings in from the farm, cooked in the beef fat that floated to the top of the pressure cooked stock I made with the bones from the nice rib eye I had earlier in the week. It added a lovely flavour to the eggs.

On route I had a couple of slices of old cheddar and some peanuts - not a really exciting food day!

On route I had a couple of slices of old cheddar and some peanuts - not a really exciting food day!

One day isn't bad. :biggrin: Quick and easy is how I eat at home most of the time, cooking for myself like you two have been doing in this and other threads is the rare event for me. I wonder if "I already cooked all day, I'm just gonna have a sandwich and watch a game" is common or if I'm just a bad cook?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

One day isn't bad. :biggrin: Quick and easy is how I eat at home most of the time, cooking for myself like you two have been doing in this and other threads is the rare event for me. I wonder if "I already cooked all day, I'm just gonna have a sandwich and watch a game" is common or if I'm just a bad cook?

When I'm at home I don't cook anything like when I'm up north. I certainly don't find the time to bake every day. I go for quick and easy most of the time too. When I have my dad over for dinner I like to cook something a little more exciting - but hey even then sometimes I'll sometimes give them all sandwiches. Rotisserie chicken makes a fairly frequent appearance. Most days at work I'm trying to figure out what I'll make when I get home.