• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home and Away

Kerry Beal

I'm working up north in Manitoulin again for two weeks and AnnaN issued a challenge a couple of days before I left. She suggested that while I was away this time that we should both endeavour to cook something each day from a different country.

Easy for her - she's in her kitchen at home with all her stuff - I'm up here, a relative culinary wasteland, especially after the tourists go home at the end of the summer. I have a fair number of supplies - but substitution will have to be made I'm sure.

So of course that makes it more fun - gotta love a challenge.

Initially her thought was that we should both cook from the same countries cuisine on the same day - but I think she realized that hobbled me just a bit too much so she relented and agreed that we could each do a different country on any given day.

I've brought with me the usual paraphernalia - the Thermomix, the Sous Vide Magic and the pressure cooker. I have the mini Big Green Egg that lives up here (it's just doing a nice hot burn right now to get rid of a little mold it seems to have gathered).

It's Canadian Thanksgiving weekend right now, with unseasonably warm weather - but neither Anna or I plan to cook a turkey.

On the day's that I'm not on call I'll try to come up with an interesting cocktail - again slightly hobbled by the limited booze I have available. I did bring up a couple of dropper bottles of different bitters as well as some ingredients I'll never find here. My first little issue was discovering the grocery store didn't have any limes - and wouldn't have them until Tuesday! I did manage to find a couple of piddling little specimens in the other grocery store for a rather dear price. Sadly today is one of the day's I'm on call - so no drink!

Sounds fun Kerry. I seem to have the culinary drive of a glacier-embedded rock lately so maybe this will kick me in the enthusiasm.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Whats on the Thanksgiving menu?

SFA - well actually nothing thanksgiving related. Being on call today I may or may not get fed. I'm making some aligot (so the country of the day for me is France) and if the BBQ can be sufficiently rehabilitated I've got a nice ribeye that I sous vided for a couple of hours last night that I'll throw on to brown up with my aligot.

I think I'll settle for one dish from a country each day - rather than trying to do an entire menu.

Except for these bona fide foodie foster kittens:

Bona fide foodies.JPG

I will be spending Thanksgiving alone so the only turkey on the menu is this:

Kitten food.JPG

A good plan since I don’t think much of turkey. Dinner for me will likely be a Black Feather cocktail and some cheese and crackers. Makes for easy cleanup.

Ironically (I have to push this to the limit) my daughter and family are spending Thanksgiving at Turkey Point, Ontario!

Now onto the cuisine of choice for today:

Chinese Crispy Pork Belly click .

The belly after an overnight rest in the refrigerator:

ready for oven.JPG

Crisping up nicely in the oven:

Crisping up in oven.JPG

Ready to eat:

Ready to eat.JPG

Not quite as succulent and crispy as the pork we get from the Asian store but still satisfactory for an easy lunch.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6227343483_b74a6d1e50.jpg

Here's my aligot - not quite as stretchy as it should be - didn't really have enough curd. But still quite yummy. Made a bit of a sauce with the liquid from the sous vide steak, a bit of brandy, some lemon and mounted with butter.

6227343561_2d61d575ec.jpg

My 'little' rib steak. Should provide at least couple of meals.

Your steak is stunning. What type of cheese did you use in the Aligot? Were you able to get a Tomme variety or?

Nah - white cheddar curds - only thing I'll find around here (or even at home actually) in the way of young cheese.

Working in ER started rather early this am with a nasty accident so I didn't have time to bake. Fortunately I did get a bit of time at home so was able to put something together for the staff.

In keeping with the Around the World theme - I made wattilappam (Sri Lankan jaggery pudding). I made a half batch, steamed in the thermomix.

No cashews available - had to use peanuts.

6228106008_2f43261914.jpg

6227588321_ce35895975.jpg

Quite yummy!

I had intended to eat only cheese and crackers last evening but found some broccoli fading in the crisper drawer. Since I am a bit low on my vegetable intake I thought I would use it up before I had to bin it. Staying with the Asian theme of the day I used this recipe to add some interest:

Here’s the broccoli ready to steam. Notice I use the stems and actually like them better than the florets:

ready for steaming.JPG

After being tossed in the sauce:

Broccoli.JPG

Not quite as tasty and interesting as I had imagined but it soothed my conscience about eating my vegetables.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Here’s the broccoli ready to steam. Notice I use the stems and actually like them better than the florets:

Me too! I also prefer broccoli as it's own dish. I don't love it added into things (stir fry, casseroles, etc.) all that much. I like broccoli, it just seems like it almost takes over when it's used as filler in some dishes.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Me too! I also prefer broccoli as it's own dish. I don't love it added into things (stir fry, casseroles, etc.) all that much. I like broccoli, it just seems like it almost takes over when it's used as filler in some dishes.

Agreed - broccoli should be served on its own. It is too strong a flavour to play well with others. I have no problem eating a bowl of steamed broccoli for lunch or even as a snack.

My 2004 eG Blog

After going in the ER and cleaning up what was left - I have the whole day to myself today - a rare treat. So I've started drinking early!

My first Sazarac. Brought up a spritz bottle of Absinthe, my posh canadian rye (I know, I know) and some peychauds bitters. The glass has been sitting in the freezer since yesterday getting chilled for the occasion. So I have the drink in one hand, my cup of tea in the other and I'm enjoying the lovely day. Gotta keep hydrated you know.

6231584722_e4ce8ac50b.jpg

My first Sazarac. Brought up a spritz bottle of Absinthe, my posh canadian rye (I know, I know) and some peychauds bitters. The glass has been sitting in the freezer since yesterday getting chilled for the occasion. So I have the drink in one hand, my cup of tea in the other and I'm enjoying the lovely day. Gotta keep hydrated you know.

I think Canadian rye has it's place. Sazaracs are great with all kinds of spirits and are particularly kind to more subtle flavours (like genever) so I can see using your rye in one.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Every time I open my spice pantry I get a faint whiff of methi (dried fenugreek leaves) and nothing stimulates my appetite more than the fragrance of methi. So today I found some ground lamb in the freezer and made some appetizer meatballs.

Here’s the mise:

DSCN0337.JPG

Missing is one egg which I added when I realized these were not going to hold together well. I think the frozen lamb might be the problem. I have only made them with fresh lamb in the past.

And the finished meatballs:

DSCN0339.JPG

I ate a few for my lunch and then packaged up the remainder for my daughter’s family.

These are from All Things Indian Cookbook by eG member, Monica Bhide. I was one of the chief recipe testers for this book.

My 2004 eG Blog

Off to Mexico today - Huevos Rancheros. Not authentic of course as I'll never find corn tortillas in these parts - but still very tasty. Made the salsa with some over the hill tomatoes from the bargain bin, peppers that the last locum had left in the fridge and onion I picked up from the Owen Sound farmer's market on my way up the Bruce Peninsula. I had some chipotle powder which added a nice bit of heat and smoke.

6231673523_6848c9eb31.jpg

When I return home Anna and I have a class at Fortino's, a high end grocery store close to my home, that has just added a community room with it's latest renovation. Ours will be the first class taught there ever, which should add to the confusion I'm sure. It's a 'mommy and me' class and we'll be doing some Halloween treats. There is one child who is egg and nut allergic so I've been working on an alternate 'finger cookie' recipe for him that doesn't use egg - my first attempt - not a success. I think I'll try again using my mother's shortbread recipe - they hardly spread at all and will likely work.

6232192394_24fb92eecb.jpg

This was actually yesterday's second drink - a caipirinha. Didn't really care for it until the last couple of sips. By then it had grown on me.

6235410967_8109243893_z.jpg

Tonights dinner - deconstructed goulash. Blade (chuck for the americans) sous vide for 48 hours, sauced with onions, paprika etc cooked in pressure cooker for an hour, then buzzed in the Thermomix. On a bed of celeriac puree with a drizzle of rather thin creme fraiche.

6235411099_30cb6daccd_z.jpg

I made another batch of finger cookies with my mom's shortbread recipe - held up much better against gravity. As you can see I was having brain farts as to where the knuckle lines go on fingers. Some physician I am! I'll have it perfected by the time the class comes around.

6235934964_abb6f1f20a_z.jpg

Off to Mexico today - Huevos Rancheros. Not authentic of course as I'll never find corn tortillas in these parts - but still very tasty. Made the salsa with some over the hill tomatoes from the bargain bin, peppers that the last locum had left in the fridge and onion I picked up from the Owen Sound farmer's market on my way up the Bruce Peninsula. I had some chipotle powder which added a nice bit of heat and smoke.

6231673523_6848c9eb31.jpg

When I return home Anna and I have a class at Fortino's, a high end grocery store close to my home, that has just added a community room with it's latest renovation. Ours will be the first class taught there ever, which should add to the confusion I'm sure. It's a 'mommy and me' class and we'll be doing some Halloween treats. There is one child who is egg and nut allergic so I've been working on an alternate 'finger cookie' recipe for him that doesn't use egg - my first attempt - not a success. I think I'll try again using my mother's shortbread recipe - they hardly spread at all and will likely work.

6232192394_24fb92eecb.jpg

Funny, I just wrote in my foodblog that I couldnt find corn tortillas where I lived in Ontario. Do you have them in Burlington?

The avocado looks nice. Is it from Mexico?

Yup - I can get the corn tortillas at a couple of stores in Burlington, just not up here in Little Current. Not sure if I'd find them in Sudbury - but I'm OK with the flour ones.

Yesterday I had planned on a shopping trip to replenish the larder but the universe did not cooperate. Like Kerry, I was limited to what was on hand and made a quick chicken curry from John Gregory-Smith’s Mighty Spice.

Here’s the mise without the chicken which was still defrosting:

Mise for Chicken curry.JPG

And the completed dish:

Ready to eat chicken curry.JPG

It was a fast and tasty enough meal but without any real complexity or depth of flavour one gets from a more traditionally made curry.

Today I will be going to Longo’s, one of our better supermarkets, for fresh produce and to Costco for some decent meats.

My 2004 eG Blog

6237042055_efe2e64451_z.jpg

Continuing my prep for the upcoming Mommy and Me class at Fortino's - I've been experimenting with "Dirt". I do have a mold at home that makes little skulls - I think one or two scattered on the dirt would be a nice touch. Or a little candy pumpkin or two. I'll have to see what they have available in the bulk section.

I made it to Costco but not to the grocery store so still found myself short on ingredients. But I don’t want to let the side down so I managed just enough ingredients to make Chicken Paprikash.

Here’s the mise:

Mise for chicken paprikash.JPG

The browned chicken thighs:

Chicken browned.JPG

The onions cooking down:

Onions cooking down.JPG

And the finished dish:

Chicken paprikash ready to eat.JPG

I didn’t feel like eating when I started to make this but when it was all ready I enjoyed it. Would have liked it over egg noodles but rice was what I had in the house. My family lucked in as they have a busy night and were not sure when they might fit in dinner so I sent most of it over to their house.

Let's hope the universe is just a bit more accommodating tomorrow so I can get some fresh ingredients.

My 2004 eG Blog