• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Don't mistake your porterhouse steak for a T-bone

JBailey

John Kass of the Chicago Tribune wrote an interesting column today about when is a cut of beef a porterhouse and when is it a T-bone.

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

Fascinating because this particular author, not known for his sensitivity, does not proceed the way he might think from the beginning of the article. It's also good to have any article that emphasizes that cuts of meat are not like manufactured assembly line goods and have natural variations and subtleties.

Interestingly, over here in the UK I rarely see porterhouse. It's normally just labelled "T-Bone", even when it's obviously porterhouse!

Same here in Canada on occasion. I have my own mental image of the difference between T-Bone and Porterhouse so it is not an issue.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just like supermarket beef everywhere, the steaks are cut way too thin. I'd call them both minute steaks.

I have them cut it for me, I like 1.5 inches. Works well on the infrared @ 1,600f

This is how I discovered there are good butchers at Costco. USDA prime rib primals are available there at $12/lb. My local butcher charges $26/lb. for the Wagyu.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

I have been going round with the "butchers" at kroger over "tenderloin steak,the stuff they try to sell is

nowhere near real tenderloin(takes lots of knife work to get all the gristle and fat off of it ...so I know the problem,,,,

Bud

Strangely they don't distinguish between porterhouse and T-bone here but they do label Wing Steaks. What the article referred to as bone-in strip steaks.

I must be perverse but I would rather a wing steak or small fillet T-bone any day. Of course that is because I have no use for tenderloin/ fillet. To my mind it is the most overhyped overpriced piece of the cow.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I have been going round with the "butchers" at kroger over "tenderloin steak,the stuff they try to sell is

nowhere near real tenderloin(takes lots of knife work to get all the gristle and fat off of it ...so I know the problem,,,,

Bud

Your tenderloin has not been properly trimmed. If purchased cryovaced as a 'PISMO' you will need to removed the 'chain' and the silverskin to make it edible without encountering the gristle that you did. If purchased as smaller pieces, then Krogers did nothing but cut up a 'PISMO' without trimming. Do the butchers at your local Krogers actually do butchering or is the meat they receive already cut and pre-packaged?-Dick

Bud

Your tenderloin has not been properly trimmed. If purchased cryovaced as a 'PISMO' you will need to removed the 'chain' and the silverskin to make it edible without encountering the gristle that you did. If purchased as smaller pieces, then Krogers did nothing but cut up a 'PISMO' without trimming. Do the butchers at your local Krogers actually do butchering or is the meat they receive already cut and pre-packaged?-Dick

Its not pre packaged, but they are "butchers"in name only, as you say,I am sure from the looks of all their stuff, they just slice it up and package it, without any removal of all the stuff that a real butcher would remove...most of their stuff is unidentifyable by looking at it, because of their lazyness,,

Bud

Here in Australia, we call sirloin steaks "Porterhouse". I have had arguments with people telling them that a real Porterhouse steak is a T-bone with the fillet left on. They insist that "Porterhouse" is a sirloin. Don't believe me? Take a look at this!

I have given up arguing. When I want a Porterhouse steak, I ask the butcher to cut me a T-bone with the fillet left on.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks Keith, that makes it clear. Looking at the Australian Meat and Livestock chart of cuts, it appears that porterhouse is what they call "striploin" with the bone attached. Without the bone, they call it a "New York cut" striploin. Chart on this page.

Given the cost and quality of some Porterhouse steaks, I would reason that they are more tenderloin without the bone rather than sirloin.

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

In the U.S., the Porterhouse/T-Bone make up the Short Loin, which is located between the Rib (at the front) and the Sirloin (at the rear).

The T-Bone is separated from the Rib by the width of a knife blade, and consists of the New York/Top Loin/Strip/Club/Delmonico steak if it were boned out.

Further back, the T-Bone becomes a Porterhouse when the Tenderloin appears, which if boned out consists of the NY + Filet Mignon (aka Tenderloin). There are 3 or 4 Porterhouse steaks on the Short Loin, depending on the thickness.

The cut of the Sirloin next to the Porterhouse is called the Pin Bone Sirloin if it hasn't been boned out.

The best way to buy steak and get the best bang for the buck, is to disregard the label description, and become familiar with what the cut actually looks like. An example is the cut called "Prime" Rib, where one end is a continuation of the Chuck, and the other becomes T-Bone.

Monterey Bay area

In the U.S., the Porterhouse/T-Bone make up the Short Loin, which is located between the Rib (at the front) and the Sirloin (at the rear).

The T-Bone is separated from the Rib by the width of a knife blade, and consists of the New York/Top Loin/Strip/Club/Delmonico steak if it were boned out.

Further back, the T-Bone becomes a Porterhouse when the Tenderloin appears, which if boned out consists of the NY + Filet Mignon (aka Tenderloin). There are 3 or 4 Porterhouse steaks on the Short Loin, depending on the thickness.

The cut of the Sirloin next to the Porterhouse is called the Pin Bone Sirloin if it hasn't been boned out.

The best way to buy steak and get the best bang for the buck, is to disregard the label description, and become familiar with what the cut actually looks like. An example is the cut called "Prime" Rib, where one end is a continuation of the Chuck, and the other becomes T-Bone.

that is what we do, I like Ny,and wife likes tenderloin, the solution is to find a T bone big enough that it has a reasonable size tenderloin,and cut the bone out and we are both happy with the result...

Bud