• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rust-prevention for burner grates

Fat Guy

Like several of you I've got one of these pro-style ranges with heavy iron burner grates. Mine seem to show rust if you look at them funny. Anybody gamed this situation and come up with a solution?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

On both such ranges that I've owned -- my old DCS and my current Bertazzoni -- the grates have been unfinished cast iron. I wonder if I need to season them.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

If they truly are uncoated cast iron, seasoning should help. You would just need to repeat the process every so often (unlike cookwear, which gets "reseasoned" when you cook with it).

But I think my first step would be to call the company and explain. They might have an easy solution/replacement.

... Mine seem to show rust if you look at them funny. Anybody gamed this situation and come up with a solution?

FG - You just have to stop looking at them funny and things will be fine. :hmmm:

But, if it's really bugging you, you can try using one of these high temp stove paints. Thurmalox or Stove Bright. I've used both of them for years and either is good. And they're both good for up to 1200F, which should be more than enough for range grates.

But, I'm not sure how well the paint will hold up where pots and pans contact the grates, as the paint may wear off there - though I don't think it would rust unless you didn't use the range for a long time. Also, if you do this, you'll want to have the range hood exhaust cranked up the first few times you fire the stove.

Finally, though, you may not want to spend all the time on the necessary prep as, unless you take them to be sandblasted, it's a lot of work. I have the Stove Bright link opening where prep directions are. Among the directions, "Remove ALL rust. We recommend sandblasting, sanding, or grinding to remove rust." Emphasis on "ALL" is theirs.

I don't know if it's worth it, but it might work. If it were me, and the rust was really bothering me, I'd give it a try.

Have you been cleaning them in the dishwasher? Someone I know with a Wolf stove had that problem. The best we could figure out, it was the dishwasher detergent. Dishwasher detergent (I was told) is not a conventional soap, but an acid. Acid reacts with iron to create rust.

If the grates are left out doors, in the night time the temperature drops and the grates get very cold. During the day moisture will condense on the cold grate and cause them to rust.

Try keeping the grates in plastic trash bags.

dcarch

I would have expected porcelainized cast iron grates on any pro-style range.

Eh...No.

Porcelanized grates suck, royally. They don't hold up well to heavy pots and pans sliding around on them, nor do they fare well around naked flames. They discolour easily and quickly and craze, then flake off. They suck for grates.

D.A.M.H.I.K.T. ..............

Mine (Capital Culinarian) are not porcelainized, though they have been pre-seasoned. I try to not ever use soap on them, just an occasional cleaning with a wok brush and very hot water. Then I dry them off with a paper towel and heat the stove up enough to evaporate any extra moisture. So far, no major rust.

My Viking is about 20 years old now, the grates appear to have sort of coating or finish and they never have displayed any rust. The gates are periodically put in the dishwasher when very dirty with no problems. So to answer your question, see if Viking grates will fit or purchase a Viking.-Dick

Porcelanized grates suck, royally. They don't hold up well to heavy pots and pans sliding around on them, nor do they fare well around naked flames. They discolour easily and quickly and craze, then flake off. They suck for grates.

Having a Bosch with porcelainized grates, I'll agree with this. I've hot a lot of porcelain bits flake off.

Our 8 year Dacor is used every day. The grates are washed in the dishwasher. The porcelain coating is intact and the have never rusted. This is confusing since there have been many other quality issues with this stove.

Tim

I have porcelain coated grates on my lowly eight year old Amana and they're holding up fine.

About four years ago I bought a DCS to replace it, but had so many problems with the DCS I returned it and re-installed the Amana.

My Viking (close to 20 yrs old now) has uncoated cast iron grates. Rust does not seem to be an issue. My gas Weber grill came with porcelainized grates and I found them problematic, so I replaced them with plain cast iron, and that was much better.

Maybe treat your grates as you would to prevent rust on any cast iron skillet? Clean with warm water and periodically rub on some vegetable oil? Although I have to say, we do use a little dish washing soap on them when cleaning the stove after use and it doesn't seem to make them more likely to rust. I agree with the poster who suggested contacting the maker.