• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Labeling stuff for the freezer and refrigerator

Fat Guy

I use a sharpie on everything,,dont use tape, just mark on whatever it is...

Bud

Yes, but if it's a Tupperware (or similar) container, you don't want to write on it repeatedly, do you? Each new time you use it to freeze something?

Masking tape works great, and I've never had an issue with it coming off.

You can clean the sharpie off with a touch of rubbing alcohol on a paper towel,if needed...

Bud

When I use a maker, I always wind up with ink splotches on my hands when retrieving the packages from the freezer. Frustrated, and marked (permanently in some cases), I now use a tape labeller on my foodsaver packages, which works like a dream.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Also, we have a small dry-erase board that is on magnets so it attaches to the fridge/freezer. We're all really good about keeping a running total of what's in the freezer.

Aw com'on. That takes all the fun out of it. The excitement of finding some lamb shanks in the bottom of the freezer that were frozen in August of 2008. And right next to them some killer chili that hasn't seen the light of day since March of '09! :laugh:

I seem to have an unusually good memory for WHAT things in the freezer are, though the date of freezing escapes me. For things like stock, etc, I usually label with the date, but for everything else, it just sort of goes in and gets pulled out when it gets pulled out, I just keep a mental list of what's in there.

Not that I do this, but I think a list of what's in the freezer, with the date it went in, stuck to the freezer door would be an awfully good idea...you can cross stuff out as you take it in, and write in new stuff as need be.

Nice idea.. some type of tracker!!

I know Eric Levine has cellar tracker.. But..I see an opportunity here freezer tracker

Location , date of packaging, use by date, ingredients

There must be an i-phone app for that.....

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Not that I do this, but I think a list of what's in the freezer, with the date it went in, stuck to the freezer door would be an awfully good idea...you can cross stuff out as you take it in, and write in new stuff as need be.

Yep, and it works doubly well since you can wipe stuff off of that dry erase board with just your finger. Easy peasy. So, yesterday, after I got out the frozen chicken breasts, I just ran my finger across the 'chicken breasts' and snap. Just like that, it was gone.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

This is exactly what I do. I have a magnetized whiteboard on my freezer door. It has everything I keep in the freezer listed on it divided into categories which I developed over time. Examples are soups/stews, beef, pork, poultry, baked goods etc.

Any time something is added or removed we update the list. Everything in the freezer is labeled with a name and date. On top of that I have divided the freezer into different sections where specific items are kept. So if I am looking for a stew I know to look in location X, while if I want to look for a raw meat I look in Y, while already cooked meat is in Z. This minimizes the amount of time I need to keep the freezer open too.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

• 2 years later...

We sometimes use yogurt containers to store items in the freezer. What can be used to label the containers that is easily removable? I was thinking of freezer tape - would that work? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

... Shel

I use the blue "painter's tape" sold by Scotch. You can write on it with a ballpoint, sharpie, etc. It peels off easily and stays on in the freezer. That said, the easiest way to label containers for the freezer is with a china marker: the grease/wax pencil will write on most plastic or glass surfaces, it won't fade in the freezer, and it only takes a bit of effort to rub it off. No tape necessary, no tape to fall off or peel off later. Just wipe away the writing.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Several years ago I bought 6 rolls of this tape - bright orange - which has high visibility  in the freezer (or wherever) and anything that I want to access repeatedly gets a strip of this tape, with the contents written on it. 
When so much stuff in the freezer is  monochrome, anything with a strip of this tape really stands out.

I also use strips of it on storage containers with stuff that I know I will be needing seasonally and when I used to travel, the important luggage got a strip of this on each side so I could direct where to stash the ones that would need to come out of the van first.

I have never found a similar product that sticks as well or lasts as long.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

To have orange tape, which is not only visible, but actually sticks to cold plastic seems to me a great boon.  Please post the source of this tape and I will send for some today!  Pronto!

I take very good care of our freezer contents but it is a major pain to keep it up.  Anything which helps is to be invited in. 

Thanks, Andie.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

To have orange tape, which is not only visible, but actually sticks to cold plastic seems to me a great boon.  Please post the source of this tape and I will send for some today!  Pronto!

I take very good care of our freezer contents but it is a major pain to keep it up.  Anything which helps is to be invited in. 

Thanks, Andie.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks, Andie.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

You can also find brightly colored "duck" tape (fancy duct tape) at Michael's Craft stores. Though it comes in patterns, I bought a roll there of plain neon green duct tape that has served me well and could easily be spotted in a freezer. Use one of their 50% off coupons to save money. 

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'll try the Michael's tape when we get back home (to where there is a Michael's), but I've yet to find an easily purchased tape which will not come off a frozen package and rest somewhere at the bottom of the freezer.  Gorilla tape would work, but then it's black.  I'll try the colored.  With hope.  Thanks, Toliver.

Interestingly, I have been using inkjet printer adhesive labels for the freezer. I don't seem to have problems.

Cheap!

I set up the printing for all kinds of repetitive stuff, with dates and whatever. Saves time too.

Back to garlic: I buy peeled garlic, those you get in a squarish plastic bottle. Add about half a cup of olive oil, I just stick the hand blender in it for a few seconds. I get nice garlic paste that I just spoon out from the freezer each time I need some.

freezerlabel_zpsefcb2200.jpg

dcarch