• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Praise for non-stick foil

Fat Guy

I've had a box of this stuff around for a while but the other day I started using it. I love it. I made some toasted cheese and the cheese that dripped off the sides of the bread offered no resistance. Same for reheating a slice of pizza. For lining the tray of a toaster oven, this product is a great tool.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this product. In particular, the way I can use it to roast potato wedges without having to use a ton of oil to keep them from sticking. And nothing is better for lining the pan when making homemade marshmallows. Also nice when roasting fish, or other delicate things. Huge fan.

I think it is complete bull, that they can get away with not having to tell consumers what the fk is in it.... and then we wonder why health care costs increase at double digit rates in the U.S.

No thanks... there are natural alternatives with superior carbon footprint, known health & environmental impact etc.,

I like it. I can roast acorn or other hard squash on it and nothing sticks. Amazing stuff.

Yes. This. I use it when roasting veggies (cauliflower, carrots, etc).

It's great for covering casseroles/lasagnes, too. The cheese/sauce on top doesn't stick to the foil.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I think it is complete bull, that they can get away with not having to tell consumers what the fk is in it.... and then we wonder why health care costs increase at double digit rates in the U.S.

No thanks... there are natural alternatives with superior carbon footprint, known health & environmental impact etc.,

To be clear...there is nowhere to find out what are the components in it?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've never used it, or even heard of it, but might give it a try.

The Reynolds site doesn't say what it is, other than a "special, safe" coating.

But, they seem to have a patent on the process, which you can find online. It looks like it's a combination of polydimethylsiloxane combined with a phenol of some sort. So basically a silcone-based coating.

One patent link I found: http://tinyurl.com/3dyw8uw

I've never used it, or even heard of it, but might give it a try.

The Reynolds site doesn't say what it is, other than a "special, safe" coating.

But, they seem to have a patent on the process, which you can find online. It looks like it's a combination of polydimethylsiloxane combined with a phenol of some sort. So basically a silcone-based coating.

One patent link I found: http://tinyurl.com/3dyw8uw

Awesome work finding the patent application... reading through it, turns out the "food contact safe phenols" are BHT & BHA both are believed to increase carcinogenicity & tumorigenicity... it was used widely in the 70's as a preservative but (althouth the FDA says it is safe in food)... food companies themselves have largely stopped using it.

I am no chemist.. but it seems obvious from the patent that the BHT / BHA will end up leaching into the food. It is funny we go out of our way to by packaged foods without the BHT / BHA but would introduce it to homecooked meals (probably featuring great ingredients)?

I've been using it since it was introduced as Reynolds "Release" - I had a coupon for a free roll and immediately tried it and found it worked as advertised.

I use so much of it that as soon as the food service size became available, I bought one.

18" x 350' The 12" wide is 1000' I found it at Smart & Final and as I recall the price per sq ft was somewhat more than half if I had purchased the regular 75 sq ft rolls totalling 525 sq ft.

I do a lot of candying and line my drip pans with it, saves a lot of effort.

I use it for the outer wrap on fruitcakes (wrapped with muslin) as it doesn't "sweat" as plastic wrap does.

I line my dehydrator trays with it when drying very sticky things - such as pineapple.

You can get a coupon here.

And they are often in newspaper inserts and on the various free online coupon services.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett