• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with Anne Willan’s "The Country Cooking of France"

FrogPrincesse

And here are the classic Gougères. Great recipe (I love the touch of interest that espelette brings), although for some reason I can't get it to work when I double quantities. I end up with soup. :D

These are great as a pre-dinner snack with wine or cocktails. I like to freeze the dough in individual portions on a sheet pan so I always have some on hand, and then I cook them at the last minute for impromptu cocktail parties.

8235576789_7f02061f31_z.jpg

8235656347_a75dd8cc95_z.jpg

8235669649_a18f3fdd41_z.jpg          

Link to recipe on google books.

• Like 1

That looks like a good way to get more squash into our diet, now that the season is here. Thanks for posting the photo and recipe.

You are very welcome. I am always on the lookout for good squash recipes in the fall!

Galettes Bretonnes which are traditional butter cookies from Brittany. Of course the key here is to use high quality butter which Brittany is famous for. I found that the thickness was important as they become dry if less than 1 cm (about 1/3 in). I did my best to mimic the patterns I've seen in France using a fork.

5344815245_a55ac32b69_z.jpg

Recipe on google books.

• Like 1

Quatre-Quarts which is the French take on the pound cake. I used high quality butter and freshly milled flour. A tad dense but the nutty flavor from the flour was very nice. Best enjoyed with jam and a cup of tea. I liked that the outside was almost caramelized.

15865244425_81807a56fc_z.jpg

15677729338_c3438c98ca_z.jpg

15863257411_6e053bca52_z.jpg

15245592913_9ec4aca5ef_z.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Recently I was looking for a nice braised dish for a dinner party. I decided to make Carbonnade Flamande, which is a beef stewed in dark beer. I used an entire bottle of Chimay Bleue for the dish, and served it with braised red cabbage, boiled potatoes, and a magnum of 2011 Grande Reserve Chimay. The only complaint was that there weren't enough leftovers! :)

The browned meat, with the onions cooking in the background (I find that properly browning the meat is the key step is all meat braises, and like to really take my time to get to a dark brown color on all sides). This was a large piece of chuck/shoulder that I cut into smaller pieces. There is a ton of onions in the recipe, which gives a wonderful flavor not too dissimilar to French onion soup.

Carbonnade flamande

What it looks like after spending time in the oven

Carbonnade flamande

The red cabbage cut a bit of the richness of the dish and was a nice counterpoint. I cooked it with white wine and a few smashed juniper berries, a bit like sauerkraut.

Carbonnade flamande

Leftovers

Carbonnade flamande

• Like 7