• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a Saaj (Saj) for restaurant use

Hassouni

I've seen them in use on the street during the Atlantic Antic street festival on Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn, where there are many Arabic shops. Maybe one of them has them for sale or could order one from the source.

For reference here is a topic on this fascinating cooking implement.

That is an awesome way to build one! I didnt know that was called a saaj. I enjoyed a warm flatbread with yogurt and olives when I was visiting Caesarea, the flatbread was heated up on one of these, I had never seen it before. Thanks for the memories!

Yes, technically the grill thing is called a saj (or in Turkish, saç), but often the pizza-like thing cooked on them, technically called a man'ousheh, is also called saj.

The overturned wok construction seems to work well in that thread, but a real saj is not as steeply convex, and can usually handle 5, 6, or more manaa'ish (plural of man'ousheh) at once, and they're usually about 10" in diameter.

By Caesarea, do you mean Kayseri in Turkey?