• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crio Bru

ElsieD

I just came across this new-to-me-item while browsing the internet. Has anyone tried this? As far as I can tell from my browsing, the only place I can find this is from a supplier in Utah. Before I go out on a limb and order some (and pay the attending no doubt frightful S & H) I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has tried it and if so, how they liked it. It sounds like it tastes like a dark chocolate drink but is brewed like coffee.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I'm bumping this topic up because there has been some mention of it on another forum (among Australian members) and I guess I missed this topic when it came up a couple of months ago.

As far as I can tell, Crio Bru is just cacao nibs that have been roasted and coarsely ground.

I buy organic raw cacao beans, roast them, remove the skins and use the nibs in various ways - not to make chocolate candy, but to see how I can use them without it triggering an allergy that I have had for many years.

Dutch process cocoa does not trigger the allergy so I am able to cook with it, no problems.

My allergist can't explain why I do react the way I do but he has seen me during an episode, relieved with an injection of a rapid-acting steroid.

It sounds interesting, but a bit expensive at a dollar an ounce.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I did buy some of this. The label says "100% ground cocoa beans". It has, as might be expected, a very deep chocolate taste. It is ground much like coffee with some almost powdery bits and some granules. I like it but am still getting used to the taste. it sure is different from the regular hot chcolate that I am used to. Andie, if you would like me to, I'd be happy to send you a sample once the Christmas rush is over at the post office. Just pm me your mailing address.

Does it taste thinner/lighter in addition to not-sweet? I'm curious because typical hot chocolate is pulverized beans, then dissolved or suspended in liquid, with the cocoa butter removed (hot cocoa) or left in (true hot chocolate). And I wonder if some of that richness comes out when the beans are effectively crushed and steeped instead of consumed entire (pulverized, but the whole shelled bean is consumed).