• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2012 Michelin Guide – NYC

LPShanet

This from Eater.com today:

"The Michelin New York 2012 dining guide will hit the shelves tomorrow with its verdicts on which restaurants deserve the guide's coveted stars, but reps have sent over a preview today, revealing the city's big winners and losers. The big news this year is that Eleven Madison Park is finally out of the one star ghetto after years of fan grumbling. They shot from one to three stars this year, finally saving the reputation of the French red guide. Cesar Ramirez's Brooklyn Fare, which debuted with two stars last year, now has a coveted third star, joining Daniel, Le Bernardin, Masa, Per Se, and Jean Georges.

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon was promoted (two stars) and Picholine demoted (one star). Shalezah, whatever that is, was booted, and for this year's head scratcher, Heartbreak in the East Village debuted with one star. Other newcomers include Tulsi, Tamarind Tribeca, Brushstroke, Danji, and Rosanjin. And somehow, as always, Gordon Ramsay at the London and Gilt still have their two stars."

Here's a link to the full piece:

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2011/10/michelin_guide_unleashed_three_stars_for_eleven_madison_park_brooklyn_fare.php

The promotion of BK Fare and EMP are among the notable (and most would say deserved) changes. BK Fare's promotion certainly suggests an effort by Michelin to back up its assertion that the ratings are about food first and foremost, rather than just the trappings of what makes a 3* place. The changes to L'Atelier and Picholine also strike me as appropriate. But as usual, the 1* list is a bit of a mess, I can only assume due to the huge task of properly evaluating everything on it.

Incidentally, the Eater piece forgot to mention that SHO Shaun Hergatt also earned a promotion to two stars.

As much as I like WD~50, if it's two stars then a lot of other places are, as well.

I've always considered the 1-star list reasonable, which is not the same as "correct". If you asked just about anyone to make up a list of similar length, there'd inevitably be a few you disagreed with. In aggregate, I consider it a pretty good list.

Incidentally, the Eater piece forgot to mention that SHO Shaun Hergatt also earned a promotion to two stars.

As much as I like WD~50, if it's two stars then a lot of other places are, as well.

I've always considered the 1-star list reasonable, which is not the same as "correct". If you asked just about anyone to make up a list of similar length, there'd inevitably be a few you disagreed with. In aggregate, I consider it a pretty good list.

The way I see it, (obviously Michelin feels differently), if Robuchon is two, then WD deserves to be. At least the food is original, not near identical menus from city to city. Not to say L'Atelier is not great, it most certainly is.

That said, I haven't dined at many high end places (or places at all) in NYC, but in my experience in 1, 2 and 3 stars around the place, that's how I view it.

I will most certainly be hitting up a few places in NYC when I next visit, and I can't wait. It's an amazing food city.

James.

The way I see it, (obviously Michelin feels differently), if Robuchon is two, then WD deserves to be. At least the food is original, not near identical menus from city to city. Not to say L'Atelier is not great, it most certainly is.

The way I see it, if WD~50 is two stars, then so are about 10 or 20 others. That's not a knock against WD~50, which I love; just a reflection of where it stands vs. other excellent restaurants.