• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Holiday Chocolate

YetiChocolates

Hey Everyone, I'm trying to decide on which "holiday inspired" chocolate I am going to feature this winter for my Holiday menu, and wanted to see what you all thought on the situation. I would also like to hear what everyone cherish's as their favorite holiday indulgence is.

So, if you had to choose between an Egg Nog chocolate, or a Pumpkin Caramel chocolate, which would you choose?

I appreciate any feedback!

I'm not a fan of eggnog as a beverage but I do like the boozy spicy combination. Would the pumpkin caramel be chewy, or just a caramel flavor in the ganache? Both sound great. Would these be with milk, dark, or white?

Hey pastrygirl, the pumpkin caramel is just caramel flavor in the ganache. The egg nog is homemade egg nog/white chocolate ganache, molded in dark chocolate, with white chocolate top. The pumpkin caramel is a milk chocolate ganache in dark chocolate. I have a hard time diverting from molding in anything other than dark chocolate, I like how it mellows out the chocolates, personally.

I'll try and post some pictures of each to give everyone a better idea!

Pumpkin_Caramel_cut.jpg

Egg_Nog_cut.jpg

So these are a couple photos of the Pumpkin Caramel (top), and the Egg Nog (bottom) chocolates to give you a better idea of what they look like. I'm going to revise the cocoa butter look on the pumpkin caramel the next time I make them, I used a sponge brush to paint the color in as I was having difficulties with my airbrusher, and wasn't super stoked with the look.

Does the pumpkin chocolate have any, you know, pumpkin in it? Personally I just loathe pumpkin flavored anything except pie :), but maybe that's just me. The shape is really appealing -- makes me want to bite it.

The eggnog looks and sounds delicious.

Edited by SylviaLovegren (log)

Does the pumpkin chocolate have any, you know, pumpkin in it?

Yes the pumpkin caramel does have pumpkin puree in it. I found this cute little sugar pumpkin last year that I cooked and pureed for the chocolates myself, and intend on doing again this year if at all possible (and if the pumpkin caramel gets chosen :wink: )

Thanks for the input though, it's funny it's been my experience that it seems people have very strong opinions about both of these flavors, they either LOVE them or HATE them.

I personally love them both!

The thought of three flavors, none really adding texture, makes me want to shy away from the pumpkin caramel chocolate, so I vote egg nog.

Theresa

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

I love the idea of the pumpkin caramel; but - in my experience the only time I sell pumpkin anything is Thanksgiving (pumpkin rolls, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cheesecake, pie, etc). The day after Tday, no one wants anything to do with pumpkin :wacko:

Eggnog to me has a longer selling time, as far as a flavor. I can put the eggnog cheesecake pops on the menu with the pumpkin ones and I'm still selling them through New Years.....

I don't live in the U.S and don't see much of either flavour here in Australia... so both would be appealing to me, but I would likely go for the eggnog. The pumpkin one sounds nice, but when you said it was a pumpkin caramel ganache, that sounds like the flavour might not come through quite as much as I'd like, it's a bit of an unknown quantity. Whereas I can imagine what the eggnog should taste like and it seems really appealing. And I think of pumpkin as more thanksgiving as well (though as I said i'm not even part of all that culture so what do i know :)

I make a pumpkin caramel ganache filling for chocolates, using milk chocolate. It's very popular. I haven't been able to get an eggnog chocolate to work for me yet. I'm not a fan of eggnog to drink, but I've never been happy with any of my attempts.

I've tried a few egg nog recipes in the past for ganaches, and was also very disappointed, until I decided to try this homemade egg nog recipe last Christmas which was delicious (not the thick, commercialized version you get at the store) but light, creamy, and super yummy (pretty much a lighter version of an anglaise with the egg nog spices added to it). So I just decided to experiment with taking some of it and adding it to white chocolate to create the ganache and voila, it worked out great! However, I did make both versions last year and the pumpkin caramel was more popular. I just like seeing what people think, giving people the chance to input their opinions.