• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Small blender or processor/grinder

patrickamory

I own a full-size Cuisinart and an Ultra Pride+ wetgrinder, but I'd like a small blender/grinder as well, primarily to mince ingredients to prepare them for the wetgrinder's pounding action - the big food processor is too large for this purpose. I live in a small NYC apartment and don't want a full-size blender. This is not for dry ingredients - I use a spice (coffee) grinder for those. (Note: I'm not looking to make smoothies - this thing doesn't have to be industrial.)

The Bamix wand plus processor attachment looks perfect, but I don't want to spend $450. Also, I'm not particularly interested in a stick blender.

The small grinder in an Indian mixie such as the Asia Kitchen Machine also looks perfect, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get just the small one - you need to buy the entire machine, and they are huge and expensive!

I used to own a Braun Multimix but it broke quickly twice. It's also not easy to store, since the pieces are so awkwardly shaped.

I'd love something perhaps the same size or slightly larger than a coffee grinder that can be used for wet ingredients such as garlic, lemongrass, shallots, maybe one medium-sized onion, etc.

Any suggestions? I've searched the forums and can't come up with any up-to-date recommendations besides the Bamix + processor attachment.

I have one of these Cuisinart mini-prep machines. It does a great job chopping and pureeing small amounts and runs around $40. It's not really heavyweight but for small jobs it's fine.

The Oster 2-speed hand blender with processor attachment is similar to the Bamix but much less expensive (about $40 US down here, likely less up there). I have this one, and never use it as a stick blender - it's exclusively my small-size food processor. I actually have a lot of Oster stuff and I've never had it break down on me.

Or there's the Cuisinart mini option.

Or, you can check and see if your current large blender has a base that fits onto a mason jar - then just chop in that.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

there's this:

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-BCG111OB-Blade-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B003WIZ5PC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1317572837&sr=8-7

i have the previous model and its fantastic. I use that model as you suggest.

this might be too small:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-SG-10-Electric-Spice-and-Nut-Grinder/dp/B001C2GWTI/ref=pd_sim_k3

but take a peak at the vid on the second link

good luck

Wow fast response. Thanks for all the recommendations - I'm going to check them out.

(My current large blender, which hardly ever gets used, is a 1940s or '50s Waring model that does not fit a mason jar. I really should throw it out, except that it's so cool looking.)

Further to this, investigating the suggestions so far -

It looks to me like the two recommendations from rotuts are for dry-grinding - do you find them okay for wet ingredients? The first is explicitly a coffee grinder.

The Cuisinart 15-piece compact from Panaderia Canadiense looks attractive for the many cups - I could whip up a batch of chopped shallot in one, then a batch of chopped galangal in another, and a batch of garlic in a third, without having to clean the container each time - is that correct? However one of the Amazon reviews says: "you have to add liquid, it's not a food processor". That comment was in reference to making purees, but if the ingredients are quickly whipped up to stick to the sides up the cup so that you have to scrape them down or add liquid to get them back to the blades, that's not ideal...

That Oster gets a huge number of one-star reviews on Amazon for its flimsiness, but perhaps people are trying to use it to crush ice or similar for smoothies?

At this point, the Cuisinart mini-prep recommended by JAZ and Country (whoops, sounds like a radio station!) looks like my best option... unless people have more suggestions of course, or if I'm not fully understanding the other recommendations.

Thanks again everyone!

Ah, don't toss it. Place it on the mantelpiece and call it a modern art celebration of the kitchen aesthetic.

As for the Oster, I would never use it on ice - that's what a proper standing blender is for! The stick-processor is meant for veggies, shallots, and chopping softer nuts (walnuts and macadamias, for example, but not almonds). Used in that manner, its performance is stellar. As a stick mixer, I have yet to find a better thing for mayonnaise. I'm now itchingly curious as to how the 1-star reviewers were using it?

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

the kitchenaid blade grinder I have is the previous incarnation and has avery powerfull motor and larger stainless steel container than most blade grinders

it works very well for me for wet apps. as the stainless steel base parts go up 2 "

I cant say anything about the newer model.

I also have the current cuisinart mini-prep I dont use it much as its very light and jumps all over the counter. I use the KA as most might use the mini.

If you can find a Cuisinart Little Pro Plus on eBay or Craigslist (it's inexplicably discontinued), you'll be very happy. It's much more substantial than the mini-prep.

What Dave said! I burned through a Mini-prep in no time. But I've picked up several of the Little Pro's at thrift stores - they are as heavy duty as my DLC-7.

As for the Oster, I would never use it on ice - that's what a proper standing blender is for! The stick-processor is meant for veggies, shallots, and chopping softer nuts (walnuts and macadamias, for example, but not almonds). Used in that manner, its performance is stellar. As a stick mixer, I have yet to find a better thing for mayonnaise. I'm now itchingly curious as to how the 1-star reviewers were using it?

http://www.amazon.com/Oster-2-Speed-250-Watt-Blender-Silver/dp/B0000AZUW9 :wacko:

Maybe they sell a sturdier version in Canada?

Thanks again everyone.

rotuts, I'm still a bit wary of buying a coffee grinder for wet ingredients, but maybe I'll give that a try - it's certainly cheap enough.

So the Cuisinart mini-prep is just too flimsy, is that the consensus? I've done some searching on the Little Pro Plus but with no luck.

Any other options out there? If not, I'll start by sending away for the Kitchen Aid coffee grinder and report back how that goes.

Does Iwatani not sell its 'Millser' series in the States ? Or do you have any way to pick one up from Japan ?

- solidly built

- realistically priced (about USD45 - USD65)

- good wet or dry, also minces meat or fish

- very practical size for cramped quarters

http://www.google.co.jp/search?num=20&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1920&bih=1113&q=%E3%83%9F%E3%83%AB%E3%82%B5%E3%83%BC&oq=%E3%83%9F%E3%83%AB%E3%82%B5%E3%83%BC&aq=f&aqi=g-e2g-r2g1g-r1g1g-r3&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2871l3173l0l3845l3l3l0l0l0l0l176l317l2.1l3l0

- the i-cg site is the maker's own.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I haven't used or laid hands on that model, but it's from the same maker, Iwatani, so will be good quality. Japan is a wonderful place to buy second-hand because the stuff has typically been looked after, sellers are straight about defects and second-hand is so unpopular as to make surprising bargains common.

That said, it only says it's 400ml capacity, so I wonder if you only get the single cup, or multiple ones ? Mine is the IFM-170G, big cup ~260ml (I measured), smaller one maybe 160-ish ? I remember it having cost about 50 bucks, and the size is just about what your first post suggests. 400ml is halfway to a stand blender - which might or might not suit you. There's no telling how old a model the 300XG is - my Google search doesn't find it mentioned much (I can't find a spec). Second picture along (with the celery & stuff), shows a street price of ~JPY17,000. Fourth picture along is the 800DG, street price JPY5,764.

If you're lucky it'll have the same small footprint (mine: 4" x 4.5") and you'll snap it up for cheap. You can sure get brand new current models from Amazon Japan - I wonder if they ship internationally ?

PS1: you are in the States, aren't you ? 100V only, I think. Ps2: "Healthy is your life" :wink:

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

ojisan - that does make a big difference. If only I'd done that earlier - and I'd actually noticed that Millser was coming up as Mirusa in Google Translate. I should have Googled "Iwatani Mirusa" and then I would have found one of those exporters that specialize in shipping Japanese goods to the US (with consequent VAT savings, I'm guessing). I've actually used them before for buying audio equipment, but they weren't coming up under "Iwatani Millser."

Instead I've bought what I hope will be a new 800DG via a Japan proxy bidder site from Yahoo Auctions Japan. Spent a few more dollars. Hope it was the right move - fingers crossed, will report back when it arrives.

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GHF3V8/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0006G3JRO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1FG7TVSCNYXKBHBVKHBN. It's a multitasker that doesn't take up much room. I have a similar one and I use it all the time for small chopping jobs. In fact, I thought I'd use the immersion blender more, but the chopper gets most of the action.

I recommend something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GHF3V8/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0006G3JRO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1FG7TVSCNYXKBHBVKHBN. It's a multitasker that doesn't take up much room. I have a similar one and I use it all the time for small chopping jobs. In fact, I thought I'd use the immersion blender more, but the chopper gets most of the action.

Some of the reviews indicate problems with it. Particularly with the gears.

Hmm. Amazon doesn't seem to have the Cuisinart immersion stick blender that I actually own. It didn't come with the whisk, just the chopper and the plastic cup (which I immediately dropped on my stupid marble tile floor and cracked). Mine has a plug-in cord, because I thought that might be a little more reliable than batteries (don't really know). Anyway, maybe because it doesn't do as many tricks, mine's been great.

• 2 weeks later...

My Millser 800DG has arrived! It's beautiful - three heavy glass jars, and the motor seems impeccably powerful.

Will report back with some photos of it in action.

Update, please?

Monterey Bay area