• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peeling vegetables (and fruit?): nutrition, fiber, flavor?

While cogitating on the idea of a pepper & squash soup, I have reluctantly concluded that I will have to peel the peppers for the smooth puree I'm imagining. While gnashing my teeth in irritation, I wonder again about peeling vegetables and fruits before cooking--when do issues of nutrition and fiber support the never-peel platform, and when do issues of bitterness, texture, waxing and pesticides outweigh the hassle of peeling?

I recall vaguely that a lot of nutrition is supposed to be concentrated in potato skins, but this wikipedia entry suggests little difference except in fiber content (how the heck can nutrients decrease when the skin is removed?). I found one source stating that pepper peels have a lot of insoluble fiber (d'oh), and another noting that the nutrition facts quoted were for unpeeled apples.

I'm looking for a more comprehensive source describing what nutrients or desirable fibers are concentrated (or not) in the outer layers of a wide variety of vegetables and fruits. It's a lot easier to find discussions of nasty stuff that sits on the surface of conventional produce.

Anyone have any pointers to solid info on how much good stuff is lost when we peel?

And what are your own preferences on what to peel, when it's something you have to do yourself?

Im a scrubber and a rarely peeler.

that being said i do this for this reason:

Potato Skins are Delicious! its the skin that Tastes Great. when I make mashed potatoes from any potato esp burbanks i scrub and cook whole

then mash. I know the skins add a lot of taste and may add nutrients or anti oxydents. or not.

but they taste really good. a peeled potato in water leeched out the nutrients in the potato to the water (it makes Potato Water good in bread !).

that being said, White Potato Nutrients probably arent the best for you anyway re glycemic index.

its the butter and 1/2 and 1/2 that Pack That Punch

:wink:

peppers have a different type of skin. roast them bag them then peel of that skin. then taste it.

but im not really answering your question, am I?

home mashed potatoes are a llot better for you than McD's potato nuggets.

but they are pretty good too>

Agreed about potato skins. I rarely mash potatoes, but when I do, it's whole skins and mash to lumpiness with scallions and butter.

Tastes better that way.

But how much nutrition is there in those apple peels, pepper skins, sweet potato trimmings, lotus root skins, grape peels, etc?

I find it interesting that nutrition is such a big concern for many people.

We are (in USA) so overwhelmingly over-nurished. Everything is vitamine fortified with 100% MDR.

I think as long as your main diet is not junk food, there should never be any concerned that you will be deprived with essentials if you decide to peel some vegetables.

dcarch

I'm looking for a more comprehensive source...

For some things you can get some information from the USDA National Nutrient Database, for example, on potatoes in various forms, with and without skins. You'd have to do two or more individual searches and compare the results. I haven't looked to see if they have specific info on the skin debate, but that's possible. But the data returned by a search is certainly comprehensive.

Dick

Dick in Northbrook, IL

Thank you for the link to that very interesting database. It does give data for potatoes with and without skins, but several other fruits & vegetables I checked (grapes, carrots, beets) don't have the same data. I can easily imagine that very little study has ever been done on this, and the source I'm seeking might not exist.

Edited by Wholemeal Crank (log)