• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Definitive pronunciation of Macoun (apple variety)

Fat Guy

William Tyrrell Macoun, after whom the apple is named, was Irish-Canadian of relatively recent extraction (his father, the famous naturalist John Macoun, was born in Ireland).

"Mah-cowne."

Edited by slkinsey (log)

--

For what it's worth my wife reports that she asked a farmer at an apple orchard in Connecticut today and he said what slkinsey said.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I have said ma-coon all my life, as did my grandmother born in the 1890s. I have never, ever heard "mc-cowne." Sort of like Green-wich versus Gren-ich. Depends where you live.

Ma-coon is the way it's pronounced in Maine, including by the owner of the orchard where I get my apples.

This is where "definitive pronunciation" gets to be a bit tricky.

The Macoun apple was developed by the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station in 1923 and named after Irish-Canadian horticulturalist and apple expert, William Tyrrell Macoun (1869-1933). We know that his family pronounced the name as "mah-cowne" because his family is still around to tell us that it is pronounced this way (as are organizations such as the Macoun Field Clubs for Young Naturalists in Canada). I imagine that the towns and features in Canada named after John Macoun are also pronounced "mah-cowne." So it stands to reason that the NYSAES also pronounced the apple as "mah-cowne" when they named it in 1923, especially in consideration of the fact that its namesake was still alive. But I suppose the NYSAES would have the definitive answer on that.

If there is any "definitive pronunciation" I think this would have to be it. Nevertheless, it's clear that there is wide variety.

--

This came up because I always heard "mah-coon" but my wife's family has always said "mac-gowan."

I now support "mah-cowne" as the most compelling pronunciation.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)