• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Re-surfacing Poly Cutting Boards

Porthos

I'm certainly no expert, but I think you would want an electric sander for that and then you are risking creating too much heat and melting the board.

Also, once deep marks are created, you have potentially created pockets for bacteria and other badies to live (that even a dishwasher won't take care of). Resurfacing might not fully expose those pockets, and therefore those badies might continue to live in your board.

I strongly prefer wood, but have always thought an advantage of poly boards was their cheap replacement price. I've been told that one the marks are bad enough that a hand towel will catch on them, it's time to throw it out.

I have had boards sanded. There is a considerable amount of dust and fine particles from the plastic so recommendations of doing it outside with proper protection is essential. Maybe they can also run through a planer.

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

i routinely 'sand' my poly boards from time to time with those green abrasive sponge-cloths.

I wet the board so there are no particles flying around. this seems to take off the finer edges to the cuts,

then I layer bleach-hotwater 50/50 on each side and let it soak for a while then do the other side.

im careful to keep the bleach in the sink and on a level board.

taking off the finer edges of the gashes seems to allow the boards to be cleaned better inbetween the green treatment.

the bleach takes care of all the unwelcomed flora and fauna.

the boards are not really smooth just easier to deal with. I have a drum sander and though about that at one time but decided if I really got those poly's smooth, a few minutes later after some sharp knife work id be back where I started. the sanding I do seems to open up the groves to easier cleaning, thats all.

bleach/hotwater is also a good periodic way to deal with those sponge scrubie things. I microwave them until bubbly in a pyrex measuring vessel. easy to grab the handle.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I've been resurfacing nylon cutting boards for about 10 years now.

DO NOT SAND

I use a woodworker's electric thickness planer which removes about 1/32 of an inch per pass. Someties it takes 2 or 3 passes to remove the deepest scars.

This works perfectly and is in no way harmful to the equipment, nor does it produce dust--shavings are too big to go up your nose. Most hobby woodworkers have this piece of equipment, and certainly most highschool wood shops have them as well.

Hand planes will also work but there is a learning curve to using these fantastic tools.