• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peel a head of garlic in 10 seconds

conifer

I don't know if that peels all the cloves big and small ones. He never showed the end result.

I don't know if that peels all kinds of garlics, fresh ones and well cured ones.

I have to give that a try.

My method is even simpler, I buy the ones already peeled. LOL!

Thanks for the interesting link.

dcarch

He used old, dried out, garlic for that demo. He likely would have hurt his hand trying to smash a bulb of good garlic like that and, guaranteed, the skins of good fresh garlic wouldn't have come off shaking the cloves in a bowl. I wonder if he actually used that garlic in anything....

He used old, dried out, garlic for that demo. He likely would have hurt his hand trying to smash a bulb of good garlic like that and, guaranteed, the skins of good fresh garlic wouldn't have come off shaking the cloves in a bowl. I wonder if he actually used that garlic in anything....

Yes. Fresh, hard-necked garlic would have put him in Emerg! But maybe he's using another type of garlic.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

First he smashes the bulb of garlic with his hand, separating it into cloves. He then inverts one of the two stainless steel bowls in which he has the garlic and puts it on top of the other, making a sort of stainless steel sphere. He then shakes it up and down vigorously, opens up the bowls and the garlic is peeled.

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

First he smashes the bulb of garlic with his hand, separating it into cloves.

He was just being dramatic. I use that method to separate garlic cloves all the time, with all varieties of garlic, fresh or well-aged.

You don't have to use your hand like a mallet, for chrissakes. First, remove the top stem if necessary so that the cloves are exposed and can spread out. Invert the garlic head, put your palm on the root end, and press on it. I lean on it with the weight of my arm. The garlic head will break apart into cloves.

Edited by djyee100 (log)

He was just being dramatic. I use that method to separate garlic cloves all the time, with all varieties of garlic, fresh or well-aged.

Even hard-neck garlic? If I tried that with the garlic I have right now, I'd be afraid of piercing my hand!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

that's how we were taught in culinary. the bowls were of equal size and 3 quarts. since i usually don't have to do massive amounts of garlic i don't use it that much anymore.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Even hard-neck garlic? If I tried that with the garlic I have right now, I'd be afraid of piercing my hand!

A hard neck bulb of garlic. I think. Anyway, there's a stiff central stem on it.

Garlic002.jpg

Pull off the stem and peel off some of the outer skin, so that the cloves are exposed. How you usually prep garlic, right?

garlic005.jpg

Turn the garlic bulb upside-down. Place your palm on the root end of the bulb. Ideally, your palm is parallel to the tabletop. Use your other hand to position the bulb so you can apply maximum pressure on the bulb.

garlic008.jpg

Press your palm against the root end of the garlic bulb.

SPLAT. The garlic bulb breaks apart.

garlic010.jpg

(Below)The little nubbin in the left-hand corner is the garlic bulb base. Notice how cleanly the cloves separate.

garlic012.jpg

I can't believe you guys. Are you going to let a girl beat you at this?

:raz: