• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spicy/Cooling combos

Shalmanese

I made a cold cucumber salad today tossed with a little homemade chili oil and I accidentally misjudged the heat of the chili oil. As I was eating it, the burn would creep up until it became uncomfortable, at which point, I would grab another chunk of cucumber to temporarily salve the heat, which of course ramped up the heat even further.

The last time I remember the same effect was when I made a strawberry-jalapeno sorbet where the same cycle of pain and relief would happen. I think there's something sadistically pleasurable about dishes that manage to push you past your pain tolerance level and leave you gasping at the end. A good pineapple or mango salsa on tortilla chips does the same thing as does a guacamole. What are some other dishes that share this same characteristic?

FTR, the recipe for the salad is as follows:

Ingredients:

1 English Cucumber

1 Tbsp of Salt

1 Tbsp of Sugar

1/2 cup of Peanut oil

1 Tbsp of Sesame oil

12 Dried Chinese Chilis

2 Tbsp Szechuan Peppercorn

1 Tbsp Black Peppercorn

3 Tbsp Chinese Black Vinegar

2 Cloves of Minced Garlic

1 Handful of Cilantro

1 Big Handful of Roasted Peanuts

Peel and cube 1 english cucumber, sprinkle with some salt and sugar and let stand for 30 minutes.

Heat a pot of peanut oil & sesame oil with chopped, dried chinese chilis, szechuan peppercorn and black peppercorn until bubbly, let sit and steep for 30 minutes

Wash & drain the cucumbers, dry with paper towels, add some of the strained chili oil, chinese black vinegar, minced garlic and cilantro

Let it marinate for a few hours in the fridge, toss with gently crushed, freshly roasted peanuts, serve.

Edited by Shalmanese (log)

PS: I am a guy.

Yep..

Did something similar, I used ( 1 )Birds Eye chili/cucumber, seasoned Rice wine and fish sauce, plus a few other things. But one Thai chili was more than my wife liked I actually thought it was spot on for me.

Loved the combo..too

Paul

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

Nam sod with much fresh ginger. I kept tasting and getting no heat from the ginger or red pepper but once it sat for a few minutes it got really hot! I was crying as I ate it and my lips were burning but it was sooo good!

We try to walk that line with the chorizo tacos at our food truck. We aggressively spice the pork and top it with a mole verde of smoked tomatios/onion, queso fresco & cilantro.

The mole and cilantro are sweet & cooling while the fatty/creamy queso coats your mouth. We also finish each one with a few segments of supreme lime to get a burst of acid in there too.

We're proud of them, we all eat them every day and they are a good seller.

Taco time.JPG