• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sedona Restaurants

alk

We will be traveling to Sedona in February and are interested in any restaurant recommendations. Thanks!

House of Joy in Jerome. Must reserve FAR in advance.

Edit: Just in case you're interested: 928-634-5339

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it is worth, during my visit to Arizona a few years ago (I think 1999), I did not find Sedona to be the culinary highlight (actually, for me it was Tucson) but did enjoy a visit to the Heartline Cafe - especially since I like to eat vegetarian about half the time and they had creative options in that category. Enjoy your trip - it is a beautiful place! :smile:

• 1 month later...

There's a good Mexican restaurant inside Tlaquapaque; I can never remember the name of it. It can sometimes have a long wait. The same shopping center has a good brewpub, upstairs, but at the other end of the parking lot.

If you head north into Oak Creek, there's a restaurant at the Junipine resort -- right on the road -- that has a few specialties worth looking for. In particular, they do very good things with the local trout.

But the foodie fix isn't in a restaurant. Halfway along the road up to Oak Creek, you'll see signs for a historical marker. Park at the shop in front of it. The marker isn't anything to write home about (in fact I don't remember what it marks) but the general store stocks WONDERFUL apple cider in season; and they also sell a really good homemade breakfast sausage. (When I go to Sedona, I rent a cabin with a kitchen, so I'd actually get to consume these before I come home.)

Just thought of another one - L'Auberge de Sedona. It's a hotel/country inn type place. They have wonderful little cottages along Oak Creek. If you can afford it, and don't already have a place to stay, it's the best. Some of the cottages have fireplaces, and you can leave your window open at night and listen to the sound of the creek.

They also have a lodge that is less-expensive than the cottages, and a fabulous, award-winning country French restaurant.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'll second the vote for L'Auberge but it is pricey. When we were there in June we had Sunday brunch at The Enchantment Resort. It was a fabulous spread with something for everone including a side of smoked salmon and beautiful huge prawns on ice. $29.95 includes unending champagne...quite a deal. If it's warm enough sit on the balcony and enjoy the view of nearby red rocks. Have fun!

Lobster.

There's a good Mexican restaurant inside Tlaquapaque; I can never remember the name of it. It can sometimes have a long wait. The same shopping center has a good brewpub, upstairs, but at the other end of the parking lot.

El Rincon.

Sedona is not exactly a foodie paradise, but it's so gloriously gorgeous it doesn't matter. Head up Schnebly Hill Drive into Oak Creek Canyon, pull off just about anywhere, and marvel at the view. (The dirt road is laughable, a random agglomeration of big and bigger potholes. Just keep saying to yourself, "It's a rental.")

• 3 weeks later...

Garlands, off Oak Creek Canyon. A wonderful collection of log cabins, very civilized, incredible setting. Extremely difficult to get reservations to stay but

one can make dinner reservations for, good, well prepared food. They have their

own garden and orchards. Oak creek canyon is situated in a micro climate, that is similar to our eastern US climatic conditions. Spending time there in the fall is very special. Colorful leaves, apple harvests and red rocks..

• 11 months later...

I'll be in Sedona the first week of March. Where are the tasty spots and best places to buy foods to cook since this is a condo and we like to alternate eating in and out. How about great take out?

Sedona isn't really a major foodie spot. Maybe it's because everybody is busy staring at the view, and pays little attention to what's on their plate.

But there are a few places we like. First among them is the Oak Creek Brewing Company, which is in the Tlaquapaque shopping center. (Tlaquapaque is really gorgeous in any case.) The brewpub has excellent beer, and extremely good casual food.

The Mexican restaurant in Tlaquapaque is also solidly good, but just a little on the pricey side compared to what we usually pay down in Phoenix and Scottsdale.

When we go up to Sedona, we usually stay at Hoel's Cabins in Oak Creek, which is way at the north end of the valley. Nearby is the restaurant at the Junipine Resort. It's mostly just okay, though they really do good (simple) things with the local trout.

If you're going to have a condo, stop at Garland's trading post... they have some locally-made sausage (or was it bacon? I just remember it was good), as well as apple cider in season.

There are a few Fine Dining places in Sedona, though I've never been to any of them. When I'm in a "get out of town!" mood, I'm more interested in rocks and trees and nature. Or in going on a "retreat" in which to write a fat report, in which case I bring along food so I don't have to go out.

It's been a while since I lived in Arizona, but when I did, we very much enjoyed our visits to Sedona and really loved the food and ambiance at La Auberge de Sedona.

However, as I say, it's been a while, so don't know if it is still as wonderful as it was then.

I'll be in Sedona the first week of March...

i know it's not that close to Sedona, but if you're in Williams, AZ, try for breakfast: Cowboy Canteen, or for dinner: Rod's Steak House. :smile:

edit to add: i just checked Mapquest.com. and it is only 60 miles from Sedona to Williams, so if you run out of Sedona restaurants... :smile:

Edited by gus_tatory (log)

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

• 3 weeks later...

This is where we ended up...

Oak Creek Brewery - very tasty food- I had the apricot pork rotisserie loin with mixed rice pilaf. Moist, flavorful and great with the nutty pilaf. Guys loved the beer but my margarita was insipid. Service was notably slow but the beer was speedy.

Fournos - a Greek Taverna in the Red Rocks - very authentic, a Greek, NY lawyer turned chef via a stint at the CIA. Two had the halibut with tomatoes and 1 had an ultra tender lamb shank and I had shrimp with feta. Homemade dolmas and honeycake with peaches. Great Santorini wines. Like in Greece - bring cash! The credit card machine mysteriously does not work but they will take a personal check from anyone.

Pizza Picasso - I highly recommend the Pizza Carbonara in a very stylish setting

Cowboy Club - This place has a great bar for locals and tourists. Very popular place for steaks with a Southwest flair.

Coffeepot - Home of the 101 omelets and you have to order by number and no they do not encourage making up your own combinations. We ate there twice. It is a busy breakfast/ lunch place where the coffee comes fast in a carafe for the table and they use big thick trianular mugs. Omelets are more done than I like but the breakfast burrito with potato and chorizo was delish!

The Airport Cafe was just average for breakfast and slow. The rumors of a fabulous view were overstated.

• 2 months later...

Am staying in Sedona for the first time and am wondering what people's favorite restaurants are in the area.

I'm interested in all price ranges and am also interested in good Mexican restaurants.

If you care to share a favorite hike or other activity that would be great too!

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Years ago we ate at Garlands in Oak Creek Canyon. They have a fixed menu. What they cook is what you get. Everything was outstanding and price was reasonable. Many years ago though. If I was in the area I'd check them out.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 10 months later...
We will be traveling to Sedona in February and are interested in any restaurant recommendations. Thanks!

House of Joy in Jerome. Must reserve FAR in advance.

Edit: Just in case you're interested: 928-634-5339

:rolleyes:

I keep hearing about this place and we'll be going to Arizona later this spring. What kind of food do they serve and what's the price range?? (It sounds Chinese and expensive).

I'll second the vote for L'Auberge but it is pricey.  When we were there in June we had Sunday brunch at The Enchantment Resort.  It was a fabulous spread with something for everone including a side of smoked salmon and beautiful huge prawns on ice.  $29.95 includes unending champagne...quite a deal.  If it's warm enough sit on the balcony and enjoy the view of nearby red rocks.  Have fun!

I have also had the Sunday brunch at Enchantment and it is insanely delicious. Their stuffed French toast is filled with cream cheese and coated, I believe, in a crust of crushed Corn Flakes. The smoky mushroom bisque is also delicious. If you can't sit outside, you sacrifice the view, but then you can hear the piano music more clearly.

Enjoy your stay!

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

• 3 months later...
We will be in Sedona from Aug 10th through the 16th.  (one day at the Crand Canyon)  Please share your recommendations with me!!!

Dinner at L'Auberge was very nice; nice hearty breakfasts to fuel a hike at The CoffeePot. For casual, but excellent Mexican I liked Mayan Taco on the main drag, 89A. It's a small place with a few tables but very good food.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 2 years later...

When we're in Sedona we like to go to the Heartline Cafe. Fresh foods and lots of vegetarian options. For breakfast at least one morning we go to the Airport Restaurant. It's nice to sit out on the patio and watch the planes come in or take off. (We're talking little planes, here. Not big jets.) Serving sizes are quite large. For Mexican try the Javelina Cantina and El Rincon.

• 3 years later...

This is a pretty old thread, any updates for the Sedona area? I'll be in Sedona for 3 days right at Christmas with my 3 children (ages 15, 14 and 11) and am looking for some good places to eat. Our hotel seems to have a pretty decent breakfast buffet so we are looking or lunches and dinners. What will the restaurant situation be on Christmas day? Are most places open and serving from the regular menu?

I have a couple places I'm looking at:

Red Rock BBQ. BBQ is non-existent in Japan and I get cravings...

Haunted Burger (in Jerome) this one is for the kids....

Either Hideaway or Picazzo's for pizza

Wildflower for a lunch

The Cowboy Club Grille I was thinking of going here for Christmas dinner, should I make reservations and how far in advance?

Any other family friendly reasonably priced places?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"