• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole Foods with 50% off coupon

TheNoodleIncident

It's been a while since I've shopped at Whole Foods - not because I don't like their products (I like alot of them a little TOO much), but partially because I moved further away, and partially because I have cheaper options near by. So the other day I got a 50% off coupon and will be stopping by after work. I know I want some beer (they have a decent craft selection), and I'll pick up some fish or steak, and possibly some cheese, but I also want to get something fun/interesting that I can't find at my normal stores. I could just walk around until I find something that catches my eye, but anyone have suggestions or favorites?

Edit to clarify - The "coupon" is actually a $20 credit purchased for $10. I'm looking to buy something interesting since I will be in the store anyway. I can't get 50% off my entire order, so this isn't a free ticket to buy something really expensive.

Edited by TheNoodleIncident (log)

We have a few topics about the chain:

I will run in for organic produce if needed and find the prices in the bulk bins reasonable. The turnover appears high so the dried beans and such are generally fresh.

I could just walk around until I find something that catches my eye, but anyone have suggestions or favorites?

Edit to clarify - The "coupon" is actually a $20 credit purchased for $10. I'm looking to buy something interesting since I will be in the store anyway. I can't get 50% off my entire order, so this isn't a free ticket to buy something really expensive.

Delitia parmesan butter. Made in Parma with the same milk used for making parmesan cheese. Go buy that. In fact, go buy $20 worth. Spread it on bread. You'll thank me later.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

I get their bulk stuff, good selection and it seems like it's fresher there.

I DID buy proscuitto there until last time when I ordered some and then watched in horror as the deli clerk hacked all the fat off of it (which was about half the total weight) and left the fat on the counter, to give me just the lean part. I almost asked her for the fat since she clearly had no clue what she was doing and thought that she was doing me a favor by trimming it. I only wonder what the reaction of the deli manager would be if they saw that...it was probably $20 worth of product destroyed...

I got the same coupon through LivingSocial.com...also made my dad and husband sign up for accounts and buy them too. $30 for $60 of groceries is a pretty good deal!

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

I got the same coupon through LivingSocial.com...also made my dad and husband sign up for accounts and buy them too. $30 for $60 of groceries is a pretty good deal!

EDIT -- is there any way to still get this coupon/offer? Living social is currently offering something I'd never use.

Edited by ScoopKW (log)

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

No, the coupon sold out in a day. After buying one, a few hours later I decided to buy more with my other email address but it was too late.

Thanks for the suggestions - unfortunately I didn't post my question until too late, so I didn't get the responses until after I had left. But I'll go back another day to try some new things (especially that butter).

I know people have been debating whether or not WF is more expensive than other places, but holy cow their meat, fish and cheese ain't cheap. So I didn't get any of that, like I had planned.

The main thing I wanted was beer - got one La Fin Du Monde (a favorite), and a double chocolate stout (something I've been wanting to try). Nothing I can't get at my normal beer store, but still good choices. Also got some frozen naan, which might be good, some fresh ground PB and a few other less exciting things.

Edited by TheNoodleIncident (log)

The main thing I wanted was beer - got one La Fin Du Monde (a favorite)

Where are you that you can get LFDM? Not fair!

And, yes, their meat and cheese, etc., is expensive. But sometimes their sales, especially on meats, are really good. And where we were in NJ, their prices for organic milk and eggs were much cheaper than the local supermarkets for the same.

Nassau County, Long Island. The WF beer selection isn't amazing, but not bad (they had a few other Belgian type offerings, including a few legit Trappist beers). I actually discovered another one of my favorite beers (Stone Ruination, I tend to prefer strong IPAs) after a suggestion by a WF staff member. I usually buy my beer at the local beer shops which are very well stocked - with just a few exceptions, I've usually been able to find whatever I want (including LFDM in both bombers and 6-packs).

You're right about the occasional sales. And one thing I do like, though not really cheap ($9 - $11/lb) is their lamb steaks (not chops). Those are delicious.

I got this same coupon.

I plan to use it as others on their bulk grains. Im not a fan of WF, they took over the chain here called Bread and circus and immediatly cut the bulk sections of grains etc down to 20% of what B&C had.

not enough profit in it for them.

maybe they still have those lobsters that live in PVC Pipe condominiums? by popular demand

:blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Right now my Whole Foods has AMAZING local honeycrisp apples, I could easily spend $20 on those in one go, at $2.50 a pound. Possibly the best apples I've ever had.