• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Asian Supermarket in NYC

Fat Guy

I am currently voting for the new J-Mart in the new (opened in May, I think) New World Mall near the intersection of Main and Roosevelt in Flushing, which I visited for the first time today. After walking around the place for about 20 minutes, I commented that "The bar has been raised." Clean and modern, incredible selection, prices that reflect high volume. Has anybody else been? Is there any serious competition closer than the New Jersey Super H Marts?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I was invited to the Grand opening. Here are some pictures of New World Mall. Not in logical order.

Incredible swimming fresh fish in tanks. Razor claims in Eataly $9.00 a lb, NWM $4.50 a lb.

Lot's of interesting fruits and vegies.

Ducks, freerange chickens, quails, rabbits, frogs, turtles -----

Huge food court

Endless isles

Parking in basement

dcarch

IMG-20110522-000091.jpg

IMG-20110522-000111.jpg

IMG-20110522-000051.jpg

IMG-20110522-000061.jpg

IMG-20110522-000071.jpg

IMG-20110522-000081.jpg

IMG-20110522-000101.jpg

IMG-20110522-000131.jpg

IMG-20110522-000141.jpg

IMG-20110522-000151.jpg

IMG-20110522-000161.jpg

IMG-20110522-000261.jpg

IMG-20110522-000311.jpg

IMG-20110522-000231.jpg

I totally missed that there's parking. Do you recall the rules and regulations on the parking, whether there's validation available, etc.?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 1 year later...

Franci are you going to be in the city? Flushing is great but be aware that it's a bit of a hike from Manhattan. In NYC proper you could try the Korean Han Ah Reum supermarket on 32 St. between 5th and 6th in midtown, or better, in Chinatown, the Hong Kong Supermarket at Mott and Grand or the venerable Kam Man on Canal between Mott and Mulberry. Mulberry south of Canal has a number of Asian groceries, fish markets and butchers, as does Mott between Grand and Hester.

Flushing is definitely the gold standard for the region, you just need to figure out your timing and transportation.

Hi Patrick, I remember the Hong Kong supermarket!

My inlaws live in Staten Island and do most of their Chinese shopping in Brooklyn. We are going to have a car so we can move around easily, although, with two small children and the frenzy of Christmas shopping, I want to make my life easier.

Maybe I'll ask also for help in the cooking forum and open another post here to ask for suggestions for intelligent shopping.

Thanks!

Hi Franci -

Ah, you clearly know your five boroughs then. I'm sure your inlaws are well aware that there are two Chinatowns in Brooklyn, both expanding, in Sunset Park and Homecrest.

There's an interesting thread about shopping for Chinese groceries in Sunset Park on chowhound here, which might prove useful:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/713313

Good luck and please report back!