• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lonesome Dove Bistro in Ft. Worth

foodie52

• 4 months later...
I'm driving up to Fr. Worth this Thursday to check out the new museum and eat at the restaurant in the evening.

The museum is very cool, we went there on the day it opened. The building itself is really a piece of art.

The museum restaurant, café modern, was highlighted in the Texas AAA magazine this month with a nice write-up.

I have signed up for a cooking class that Tim Love is doing at Central Market in Fort Worth on June 23rd. I do not know what a stuffed flat iron is? here is the link Central Market

I also have reservations for Dragonfly on Sunday nite. And I think lunch on Tuesday is going to be at Angeluna in Ft. Worth. I just need a really good place for breakfast.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Flatiron is a new cut of beef...they revealed it at the Tx Food and Wine Festival in Austin last month. I didn't get to taste it, though.

Didn't make it to Ft. Worth: I hurt my shoulder and didn't relish a car trip....will go when I get better.

You'll enjoy Tim's class. He's a wonderful chef. I worked with him at the CM cooking school in Austin: that's how I met him.

• 3 years later...

I was in Dallas for Thanksgiving this week, and we had dinner at Lonesome Dove on Friday night. I thought it was ok, but no better than ok - and it's very overpriced, in my opinion. (Apologies in advance for the fuzzy pictures...I was using the night setting, so as not to disturb people with the flash, but had no tripod.)

We were seated in the back room, next to a table of extremely loud children - well-behaved, but loud (a party of about 20). Started with a cocktail - my Manhattan was pretty good, and my cousin enjoyed his G&T.

gallery_26775_1623_28512.jpg

We also had a nice pinot noir with dinner - don't recall the name, though. We were pleasantly squidgy by the time we left.

We split four appetizers between our table of seven - the foie gras, the ribs, the kangaroo carpaccio nachos, and the dayboat scallops. Of these, I liked the scallops best...my mom and aunt went on about the nachos, but I didn't think they were too special.

A sampling...

gallery_26775_1623_30149.jpg

I also really liked the pickles served with the ribs! Here's a shot of the foie gras toasts:

gallery_26775_1623_18760.jpg

For my second course, I had the romaine salad, which was tasty, but overdressed.

gallery_26775_1623_33020.jpg

A few people went with steak for their main, which was probably a good call. I had the duck breast, which was underdone (and this is a girl who likes things rare). The haricots verts on the side were lovely, though - crisp and dressed in a vinaigrette. A really nice counterpoint to all the rich food.

gallery_26775_1623_16685.jpg

We had several desserts, including the bread pudding (shown below), the chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich, and the ancho chile chocolate cake.

gallery_26775_1623_6765.jpg

Overall, I thought the main issue is that the food seems to be serving the gimmick here, rather than the other way around. For instance, the concept of the foie gras toasts was a good one, but there were too many flavors competing for center stage, and, in the end, it seemed a waste of foie gras. You couldn't really taste it, only the four different spice rubs and the butter soaked into the toast.

The service was very friendly and patient - I give the FOH staff a big thumbs-up.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Thanks for the review and pics, Megan.  Sorry that your one outing in our cities didn't deliver.

Oh, don't worry...I'll be back eventually! :biggrin:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

• 1 year later...