• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold pizza

Fat Guy

The thing I dislike the most about cold pizza (and grilled cheese) is the cheese that has melted and then congealed. I wonder, maybe a focaccia-like solution would make sense.

Hmm, Im thinking the kid wants something that looks pretty much like his friends lunch, so I think you need to have a cheese topping at least, and follow the shape.

What about subbing coarsely shredded parmasean? I love it on toast, even a day later..

I think the point about visual similarity may be a good one. Then again on most days the other kids' lunches look nothing like his and I think he enjoys that. So that factor could cut either way. I do think, though, that maybe a focaccia with tomato slices and a sprinkling of parmesan could be a viable option. I'm not sure I'm going to make focaccia for that purpose alone, though. There are also a lot of focaccia-like products you can buy to use as a base. I should see if Trader Joe's has anything promising.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I think the point about visual similarity may be a good one. Then again on most days the other kids' lunches look nothing like his and I think he enjoys that. So that factor could cut either way. I do think, though, that maybe a focaccia with tomato slices and a sprinkling of parmesan could be a viable option. I'm not sure I'm going to make focaccia for that purpose alone, though. There are also a lot of focaccia-like products you can buy to use as a base. I should see if Trader Joe's has anything promising.

I still have to make one more push for the cold pizza...it's something that was such a treat for me as a kid.

Having said that, again, lol.

How about a butter toasted piece of crusty bread topped with thinly sliced cherry tomatoes topped with shredded mozz...cheddar...parm etc.?

i don't eat hot pizza. the thin crust is too floppy and the sauce and chhese(s) are too hot and slidy. when i buy slices i order them plain and not heated. then i eat themat room temp. that way you can taste every part of the pie.

my husband also loves to eat my foccacia with olive oil and some a light tomato sauce at room temp for lunch.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Just a thought but what about a sandwich in a nice crust panino with pizza tasting ingredients.

Subway has an unofficial sub like this.. Simple called the pizza sub. It isn't on their official menu but every subway I have ordered it at knew how to make it.

Basially , salami, thin sliced green peppers, mozzerela cheese , and the marinara sauce from their meatballs.

You could buy a nice crusty panino, put some the mozz, your homemade tomato sauce and slices of good dry cured salami and whatever veg he likes on his pizza on it.

Edited by Ashen (log)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Madonna! You don't actually put mozz on your pizzas, do you? My Nonna-in-law made fierce fab pizzas and it was all parm all the time. But like many others on this topic I counsel: give it a rest and give him cold pizza. Compared to the cuinary/literary/scientific/ ethical things you'll be teaching him, this is close to a no-brainer, Dad.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Well, I doubt this will feel the same to him, but what about a focaccia sandwich? You could cut the foccaccia through the middle and put tomato and mozzarella or whatever he likes on his pizza.

I do like the idea of parmigiano on the pizza though.

Pizza is Yummy at every temperature, even microwaved after cooling.

its just a different dish.

of interest is which toppings a better on a cold pizza and which are not:

for me mushrooms are much better hot, not so good cold, esp is they are the canned types some pizza joints use.

peperroni is good at all temperatures, as is the cold conglomerated cheeze its just different than the bubbly right out of the over cheeze

Thinking further, I think there's a lot you could do with topping combos that will be better than, but could be employed to look like classic take out. Kids like to fit in (hence all the advice to just give him the cold pizza) but at this stage they are copying all this adult social interaction they see, so maybe you impulse to step it up could be an opportunity in encouraging a bit of generousity and leadership to the all too lemming like cafeteria setting.

To that end, I think some creative and sharable toppings could help him become a lunchroom superstar! Kids always like to swap, and who hasn't peeled off or stolen bits of someones slice? Anyway, please forgive me for treading onto the parenting territory here, but I really love that you want to add something to the same old same old for your kid and I'm thinking some easily shared toppings would give the kid a chance to emulate his Dad in the best possible way.

Maybe throw in a few little nutella (or dulce de leche) and mascarpone crostini bites to seal the deal.

The congealed cheese is one of the great attractions of cold pizza.

As an alternative, what about a calzone? Because the cheese and other "toppings" are contained within a crust, they're easily transportable without a mess. I've brought them on picnics and they're great at room temp. And because the cheese mixture is based on ricotta, it remains creamy even when cold.

Just to clarify: my son is in grade 1 and at his school they eat lunch in the classroom in grades K through 2 -- the cafeteria culture doesn't become an issue until grade 3. At his current age the kids sit around little tables in the classroom and, although they peruse one another's lunches, sharing and trading are strictly forbidden (on account of allergy considerations).

I think kids do indeed want to be like other kids -- some or even most of the time. But it can't be stated as a universal rule. One exception can occur when they have the opportunity to be better than other kids. Another exception can occur when they use adult models. There are others. I was a kid once. I remember plenty of situations when the last thing in the world I would have wanted was to be like the other kids.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Just to clarify: my son is in grade 1 and at his school they eat lunch in the classroom in grades K through 2 -- the cafeteria culture doesn't become an issue until grade 3. At his current age the kids sit around little tables in the classroom and, although they peruse one another's lunches, sharing and trading are strictly forbidden (on account of allergy considerations).

Bummer! I forgot all about the allergy thing these days- I guess Nutella is off the menu till college!

But if I was in that classroom, I'm sure I'd be eyeballing whatever your kid brought to the table, and hard. Oh well, I can't wait to see what you end up doing with this!

Wow, those helicopter blades are getting loud. Is it really worth an adult's time to puzzle out WHY a kid wants cold pizza for lunch? PJ wants cold leftover pizza. You are saying no. Pick your battles, there will be plenty of harder ones. Like when he wants a container of ranch dressing with it; that's when you know it's time for him to start fixing his own lunches. If you make home-made pizza the night before it will be healthy and tasty for those who want it hot or cold.

Is it really worth an adult's time to puzzle out WHY a kid wants cold pizza for lunch?

Did you miss the thread where we spent four pages trying to get the pickle smell out of the jar lids?

Some people just like to puzzle things out- find the best way to deal when something new comes up. Helicopter parents? Ha! They believe they already know the best way, about everything, all the time. Couldn't be more different.

pizza at every temperature is fantastic, just different.

cold pizza cannot be duplicated in any way. and yes that congealed cheese is delicious.

even microwaved (reheated) pizza has its own place;.

of more interest is which toppings dont do well cold: for me mushrooms, esp. if you Parlor uses canned. sauted cooled then on the pie are different and OK

pepperoni works all ways.

the thing with cold pizza is, the cheese (call it what you like) is what glues everything together on the slice, nothing drips or falls off since it's cold, and it's the best thing to find in the fridge! I doubt any sandwich will qualify, especially if the cheese was not melted before, it just won't be the same in any which way you look at it.

I guess if you can find some kind of box that allows to keep things warm you could nuke a piece in the morning, but then he's the one with warm drippy pizza while all his friends are enjoying their salty gummy snack. I'm sure his taste and culinary wisdom is far beyond what others taste/know in his class, just by being your kid. No need to go overboard, just get out the cold slice and have him go at it :-)

My boy is quite likely the only one to show up with left over Sous Vide steak and other such things in his class, but he just as well enjoys a muffin with Nutella or a salami sandwich, or - yes, in the rare cases that we do have leftover - a slice of cold pizza :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I don't understand the assertion that "cold cheese" is a bad thing. If I got a cracker and topped it with a slice of cheese and pepperoni, I'd be pretty happy with it, and not feel the need to heat it up.

Basically, that's just what a cold pizza is. Some sort of bread topped with cheese, pepperoni, etc.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

not to become obsessed with this thread but at Trader Joes the other day ..

( probably everybody knew this but me )

they 'sampled' this:

ciabata/fresh tomatoes/4 cheese (pre-grated yes yes I know)/pepperoni toasted in a toasted oven

delicious! reminded me that most of the time id like 1 - 2 slices of pizza and not more. No I dont want it delived and dont want to pick it up. I also can but dont too offen make my own dough etc

just want a pizza "hit"

ciabata from TJ was fine, but sourdough was better. a partial toasting first, the a little olive oil/garlic rub

then (pick) oregano/thyme/fresh basil

then fresh tomato slices: a selection of cheeses that melt; pepperoni

broil in the toasted over touch up with a little more olive oil, pepper flakes

and pretty good pizza for a pizza hit. also good cold.

Edited by rotuts (log)