• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Definitive pronunciation of kitchen-product brands

Fat Guy

Nickrey is off on both of his suggested pronunciations for "Staub."

Try writing phonetically in an Australian accent trying to guess generic American pronunciation and see how far you get. That's why I included the link to actual pronunciations.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Try writing phonetically in an Australian accent trying to guess generic American pronunciation and see how far you get. That's why I included the link to actual pronunciations.

Having just spent time with my Aussie niece I totally get what you are saying :biggrin:

:laugh:

Yea, it's hard to write out in "English spelling" rather than using a more specific system like IPA.

--

De Buyer

Grohe

Le Creuset

De Buyer = deh booyay but it is rather run together "dehbooyay" on the CD I got when I purchased the mandolin. It is the e sound in debutante.

Le Creuset is pronounced so many different ways by so many different people one can be easily confused.

A friend from Nice says Leh crew say but another, originally from Lille, pronounces it slightly different.

I have heard Grohe pronounced "Growah"

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 4 months later...

Doesn't miele mean honey?

Honig = honey in German and it is a German manufacturer I believe

Google say Miele is honey in Italian

Miele, pronounced MYAY-lay, is indeed Italian for honey, and Italians usually pronounce the appliance brand the same way rather than the correct German way (though many also pronounce it correctly).

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com

I have heard a lot of people pronounce Bosch with a long "o." I was wondering if that's correct. Glad to see there is not a quick consensus. I did a quick search on YouTube and found what seems to be a Bosch corporate video with the short "o" -- Bosch rhyming with "wash." I wonder if that's definitive.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BoschHome#p/a/u/2/YUQrWTt74nU

Yes, Bosch rhymes with wash