• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Omelet - Pale and Blond, or Browned

weinoo

21 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Never in my life have I wanted to eat or cook browned egg.

The one exception is the Jose Andres style super-high-temp, essentially deep-fried egg that both browns and puffs as you cook it. But when done properly, the yolk still runs. I think browned yolk is what I find offensive. Overdeveloped sulphur notes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btbyrd said:

The one exception is the Jose Andres style super-high-temp, essentially deep-fried egg that both browns and puffs as you cook it. But when done properly, the yolk still runs.

Similar to what I just mentioned.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

17 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

When fast fried, the browned area is very thin and crisp—it shouldn't be tough and the egg shouldn't be rubbery.

The way I like my fried egg. With the yolk still runny, the white lacy and crisp at the edges.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 minute ago, kayb said:

The way I like my fried egg. With the yolk still runny, the white lacy and crisp at the edges.

Yeah, at the family farm they fast fried them in about a 1/2 inch of bacon fat. xD

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Yeah, at the family farm they fast fried them in about a 1/2 inch of bacon fat. xD

There's another way to do it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I had been using Pepin methods until I recently stumbled across Julia Child's omelette technique. It's gotten me better results faster and more consistently. And it's fun to shake the bajabbers out of the pan.

The slightest little bit of browning on an omelette doesn't ruin it for me, but I prefer for it to be uniformally bright yellow -- to come off just before the color starts to go toasty.

As for bacon grease, I always make a sheet pan at a time. Overwrap the pan with heavy duty foil for easy cleanup. Pour the fat off through a mesh strainer.  It heaps up quickly that way.

I also pressure cook a pound of Benton's in water when I do my variation on the Momofuku ramen broth. This yields wet-rendered bacon fat and bacon stock. The decanted fat is very nice, though you obviously lose some smoke and pork flavor to the stock.

• Like 3

On 4/7/2018 at 1:41 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

[Alex French Guy Cooking] 

"I Try To Master Jacques Pepin's Perfect Omelet..."

Jacques Pépin responds...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I had been using Pepin methods until I recently stumbled across Julia Child's omelette technique. It's gotten me better results faster and more consistently. And it's fun to shake the bajabbers out of the pan.

The slightest little bit of browning on an omelette doesn't ruin it for me, but I prefer for it to be uniformally bright yellow -- to come off just before the color starts to go toasty.

As for bacon grease, I always make a sheet pan at a time. Overwrap the pan with heavy duty foil for easy cleanup. Pour the fat off through a mesh strainer.  It heaps up quickly that way.

I also pressure cook a pound of Benton's in water when I do my variation on the Momofuku ramen broth. This yields wet-rendered bacon fat and bacon stock. The decanted fat is very nice, though you obviously lose some smoke and pork flavor to the stock.

I enjoyed the video.  Particularly the clunk of the non-optimal pan as it hit the floor.  My omelet pan does not have high enough sides for her amount of shaking.  I'm tempted to purchase a non-stick for the purpose.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Can I play?

Omelet04132018.png

The astute may notice a hint of color.  In my defense it is a brand new pan and the first ever single egg omelet of my life.  I couldn't quite manage Julia's motion.  Though the omelet formed itself and slid right out without resort to a utensil.

Even with the orange I thought the omelet was excellent.  Not the least dry.  Parsley from my dining room.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I thought the omelet was excellent.

That's all that matters.

• Like 3

I tried again with another one egg omelet.  While the result was tasty and not over done, I had not been able to form the omelet in the pan, a la Julia, the way I (sort of) had the first time.  I folded it in half as it slid out of the pan. 

What might I be doing wrong?  She says to wait a couple seconds before shaking.  Maybe I waited too long?  I don't think my pan was too hot.  It may just be that the pan is too small.  I should have some larger non-stick pans to try tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What might I be doing wrong? 

I am not putting myself forward as an expert by any means. I had the same trouble and I wondered if I had not had the pan hot enough so that in that short few seconds when you are not supposed to move the pan the egg could firm up. I don’t know and I haven’t tried it again. I’m just making a suggestion.  I must get back to it but at the moment I seem to be eggasperated.  I need a rest from eggs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

I spent the day with my dear family.  Enjoyed a crispy fried fish with tamarind sauce around four o'clock.  Got home not much before midnight.  I had a shower, my mai tai, and (in this case) Brazilian cashews.  I was still a bit peckish.  Dill was in the refrigerator, so I prepared a dill omelet according to Julia (also the name of my granddaughter but in this case Julia Child).

It was a two egg omelet in my larger William Sonoma non-stick pan.  I was amazed, truly amazed, how the omelet came together -- just as how Julia showed from shaking in the pan.  It folded in three, no brown spots.  Like magic.

• Like 10

On 4/15/2018 at 7:02 PM, Anna N said:

I need a rest from eggs.

You can never rest from eggs, at least, not for long. You're a obvious egg lover through and through.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I feel like when I do a two-egg omelet, as opposed to my one egg omelets, I tend to lean towards the country style:

twO0Xbg.jpg?1

It might have something to do with the amount of filling as well; this omelet has a nice amount of tomatoes and avocado and cheese inside.

Would've never worked had it been a one-egger.  Here's a one-egger, with just a schitckle of cheese inside...

339934754_2015_01One-eggomelet.thumb.JPG.e4b83a4c101b33c56a59815bf7fd0c9a.JPG

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Can't get emotionally involved here.   Omelets are how you like them.    Husband likes blond.    I like whatever someone else serves me, or whatever i plate for myself.   I am more filling or sauce oriented.   Eggs are eggs, and if not overcooked are probably pretty good.   Depends on the quality of the egg.    But the cheese or the mushrooms or the savories stuffed into an omelet can be mind blowing.   Or the sauces, from Ranchero to Bearnaise, can be life changing.   

Do you get the feeling I'm not into self-flagellation?   

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

Nothing to eat.   Eggs.    Okay.   Will make an omelet.    Since it was just for me, and since I'd never tried her technique, I thought what the heck ->  I'd shake it, Julia style.    I had little faith in the technique but it worked a charm!   It may not be Julia's egg, but it came together, and shook itself over itself nicely.

One egg, 8" teflon pan.

1629703473_photo2.thumb.JPG.460063c9fe620ffa1324689c330384bd.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

I'm not particular about omelettes although I prefer them was a little brown. Fried Eggs whether over easy or sunny side up definitely need a little brown around the edges which you get easily when cooking them in bacon grease!

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

13 hours ago, MSRadell said:

I'm not particular about omelettes although I prefer them was a little brown. Fried Eggs whether over easy or sunny side up definitely need a little brown around the edges which you get easily when cooking them in bacon grease!

When young and first married (and broke) the special meal was T-Bone steak, chips & eggs. We saved the cooking fat the steak was cooked in in the ''steak cup' in the fridge. The steaks would always be cooked in this then the eggs. The white would be brownish colored by this fat. It was delicious.

Trouble is all fried eggs I now have must be compared to these and fail the memory taste test. Even the bacon fat comes a long second place to the remembered taste. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)