• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unexpected Visitors for Dinner…

Darienne

I'm reminded by talk of yoghurt that one of the easy dishes I cooked up is chicken joints, salted & scattered with sliced onion, and topped with good chutney stirred into yoghurt (a tray of 6-8 chicken joints, a 500ml tub of yoghurt, several heaping spoonfuls of chutney). Bake at 180C till done, about an hour.

We make something like that in the crock pot... but I bet the texture of baking might be better... what do you think?

Nigella's Chicken and Sausage Bake is good, easy recipe that is flexible: One Pan Sage and Onion Chicken and Sausage.

It can be varied to suit your tastes (I'm not a big sage fan), works for no-carbers and you can offer a salad or whatever is handy in the vegetable department with it. And don't worry about marinating overnight, an hour or so is fine.

As others have said, surely it is the company that is important, not the food. Having said that, a glass of wine and a small bowl of nuts will do a lot to mellow out your guests beforehand.

Edited by barolo (log)

Cheers,

Anne

We make something like that in the crock pot... but I bet the texture of baking might be better... what do you think?

Maybe depends whether you have a lid on the crockpot ? I have no crockpot experience to make a more sensible answer. I'm sure one could make a breast of it (!?) on the stovetop, coupled with a few stirs - the oven just adds to the easy, for me.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.