• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dozzino: Artisinal Pizza in Hoboken

butterscotch

After hearing one rave after another, I finally got around to trying this place out last week and was just blown away! I bought a plain small pie (10$ / no slices/ byob) it had a perfectly bubbled and charred (wood fired oven!!) thin crust, very fresh and nicely balanced. It is a very light pizza in terms of toppings, not gloppy at all- which is exactly my preference. Hoboken is glop city, I cannot take all the drips and blotting for so so pizza. My only complaint was the sauce and cheese could have been spread a bit closer in spots to the edge of the pie. And I wish they had a bit of good grated (or any) parmesan for the pie. But it didn't need it- and the crust is pretty awesome.

I wanted pepperoni because a friend claims it's incredible, but there was none that day. If you are a big eater you'd probably want one of the combos with more meats and cheeses added, but for me the plain was perfect as is. My little green salad was fresh and nicely dressed too with balsamic vinegarette. The portions are smallish, but I'm okay with that.

The fresh mozz is a winner, and their limited menu says they use only top notch imported or artisinal meats and cheeses. Their concept is limited hours till they run out of their ingredients each daya. They seem obsessed with mortdella, I'm thnking they'll never run out of that at least! It's only serving from 7- 10:30 or so five days a week, which is why for a long time, I wasn't sure it was actually open. They seem to close for a lot of private events too. Definately check with their twitter feed first if you're making a hike over there.

They bake their own bread for savory and sweet crostini too, I noted a couple swooning over them at the next table. Maybe next time!

Totally recommended for you pizzaphiles.

http://dozzino.com/

Edited by butterscotch (log)