• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Foodblog: ScottyBoy (2011)

ScottyBoy

That scallop dish looks wonderful. I especially love the idea of using sea beans to get that briney flavor in, complimenting the scallops.

I really wish I had access to some of the markets you do...I'm lucky if we have fresh, in season fruit available!

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Good eye, yeah that's the idea. Kind of a no-brainer but I like to match main ingredients with garnishes that will compliment them. Sea beans and scallops, peas in the puree and the shoots from the plants on top...

Off to pick up some foie gras and document the beautiful new Berkeley Bowl while I pick up groceries for cooking today, see you soon blog!

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Lunch with my friend Chris at Pho Ao Sen. We searched all of Berkeley and Oakland for the best Pho and have found it. Chris calls it "God Broth". Two things I like about this place as well, the special sauce of fried shallots, chilis and fish sauce and the long green herb on the garnish plate.

Some fresh local Sonoma foie gras $37/lb. I'll soak it in milk to leech out any impurities, devein then pack it in salt to cure for 4 days. I use it like salted "meat butter" then blending it into sauces and such.

Then some pictures of the new Berkeley bowl, it's all nice and bright. I actually prefer the old one since I have the entire store memorized.

ao sen.jpg

ao sen4.jpg

ao sen3.jpg

ao sen2.jpg

Foie.jpg

BB7.jpg

BB.jpg

BB2.jpg

BB3.jpg

BB4.jpg

BB5.jpg

BB6.jpg

My eGullet Foodblog

Agree 100 percent on Pho Ao Sen. I've been going there for years and it is my very favorite pho. The broth is delicate, not fatty, and not on the sweet side. And it comes to the table hot. Plus I'm extremely fond of the homey atmosphere. However, not much else on the menu stands up to the pho. Down the street a few blocks is Pho King. I haven't ever been but they have a reputation for the Bun Bo Hue. Yes, that's right, Pho King is fun to say.

Just to add the final recipe to my "candy bar" desert on the last page, salted caramel.

1 1/2C sugar

1C cream

5T unsalted butter

1T kosher salt

Melt everything but the sugar and keep warm. Cook the sugar until a deep golden brown. Turn off the heat and whisk in the cream mixture. Let cool in a container, put on everything.

caramel3.jpg

Caramel2.jpg

Caramel.jpg

My eGullet Foodblog

Really trying to catch up with everything that's happened in the last week.

Dim Sum at East Ocean with my friend Chris and his AWESOME Aunt and Uncle last Saturday.

Chilled marinated beef and jelly fish

Pai gwat, pork spare ribs with fermented black beans and peppers. Chris's favorite since he was little.

Cha siu bao.

Shrimp dumplings similar to ha gao but with green chives

Ha gao: shrimp dumplings

Egg, shrimp, and dao mue (bean sprouts) over lai mein (egg noodles)

X.O. sauce

Ja leung made special: chinese donut stuffed with shrimp paste and wrapped in a rice roll. with sesame seeds and sweet soy. My favorite!

Wu gok: taro root dumpling

And the view from the restaurant, really awesome.

dimsum18.jpg

dimsum16.jpg

dimsum15.jpg

dimsum14.jpg

dimsum13.jpg

dimsum12.jpg

dimsum11.jpg

dimsum10.jpg

dimsum8.jpg

dimsum7.jpg

dimsum6.jpg

dimsum4.jpg

Dimsum3.jpg

My eGullet Foodblog

Sea beans and scallops

Seas beans are those dark green succulent twigs? Looks like samphire - juicy and salty? Nobody sells them around here but they're real easy to forage.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Yup, they're also called sea asparagus since up close the spears look just like it. After I discovered I could get purslane and such all over the place I've really gotten into foraging.

There was a huge food festival in downtown Oakland over the weekend. As always I was too busy to make it down this year. My friend Jenny works for KQED's blog and has agreed to link this great article.

Will Wait for Good Food: Eat Real Festival 2011

My eGullet Foodblog

Making gnocchi with foie gras sauce.

Sauce

150g Salt cured foie (small dice)

150ml duck demi glace

150ml cream (cold)

50ml marsala wine

Heat the wine and demi until simmering. Pour into a blender and add the foie to emulsify. Pour in cream just until blended. Strain through fine sieve.

Gnocchi

3 russet potatoes

70g grated parmasean

3 egg yolks

pinch of salt

100g flour

Bake the potatoes at 400 for an hour or so, until fully cooked. Run through a tammis or a ricer. You only need 250g.

Using the "well method" incorporate all the ingredients. Folding and not kneading, adding more flour when needed. When it's not sticky an dry enough cut into 4ths and roll into long 1/2" logs. Cut into little pillows.

In salted water boil them until they just rise to the top, I like to fry them in brown butter for 5 seconds. Or you can just heat in the sauce to finish.

ghnocci3.jpg

Ghnocci.jpg

ghnocci2.jpg

My eGullet Foodblog

Thank you!

You can also charge that sauce into an iSi and make a killer mousse with it.

I hope my "recipes" are OK. I never really measure most of the time and I'm making an effort to weigh, measure and write down (which I should be doing in the first place). Also I'm just kinda betting for people on this forum to know the basics so I only have to describe some of the technique...

My eGullet Foodblog

Hit up some late night tacos with my friend at our favorite truck, Guadalajara. Doesn't hurt that it's on the way home from the Oakland A's stadium :cool:

Cabeza (cow's head), tripas(stomach), langua(tongue), carnitas(fried pork). I like mine with the Mexican crema on top and plenty of radishes to snack on once the heat hits you. There are A LOT of taco trucks in the Bay Area as you can imagine but I think they do it all perfect here. The cabeza is my favorite, so rich with beef flavor and gelatinous.

Tacos.jpg

tacos 2.jpg

tacos 3.jpg

My eGullet Foodblog

... gnocchi with foie gras sauce...

Gorgeous.

Very gorgeous. I never put foie in the blender, now maybe I will.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Beautiful gnocchi.

When you are in the Berkeley Bowl produce section, is there a strong wonderful smell of fresh ripe fruit? It looks like there would be.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Gnocchi with Foie Gras sauce. You're killing me, dude. I have such a craving now that I can't get immediate gratification for. Might have to make do with some other form of foie satisfaction. Even if it means heading to the local gourmet shop and snagging a slice of pate...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'll check on that! There's also really great pre-made gnocchi available at the Italian Market so perhaps this might be more easily accomplished than I thought. Problem is I have a ton of work to do today and don't really have time to cook. Might have to put off scratching the foie gras itch until the weekend when I can really relax and enjoy it.

Just so you know, I'm easily suggestible and easily led by photos and descriptions of gorgeous food. This blog has been quite challenging for me to read every day!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol