• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Foodblog: ScottyBoy (2011)

ScottyBoy

Yeah, yeah... burger, bun, fries. Tasty stuff. :raz: Let's hear more about all that local product you have access to (and I don't). My head would explode, I'd be in idea overload from all the possibilities. :biggrin: We have a short, unreliable growing season and not a lot of local resources so I get all excited when I see an abundance of tasty ingredients to work with.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Here's a little photo teaser for tomorrow. Pictures I took at Monterey market a little while ago. I'll be doing my shopping bicycle loop to all my markets tomorrow and will document. try not to get too jealous my friend.

5041215864_87453db89a_b.jpg

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

try not to get too jealous my friend.

Too late, I already did. :biggrin: Very nice... can't wait to see what you go with and what you do with it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Here's a little photo teaser for tomorrow. Pictures I took at Monterey market a little while ago. I'll be doing my shopping bicycle loop to all my markets tomorrow and will document. try not to get too jealous my friend.

Just kill me now. You people out there have the most astounding shopping options....

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

When they come in my buddies at Tokyo fish market give me a call. $17 a pound. I love it since they are so big you can get a crust on both sides instead of just the top.

4185945745_2b01b283b0_z.jpg?zz=1

Do you dust the Scallops with flour before searing them?

ScottyBoy, wow, great food as usual (LOVE the soup) and of course California's food and produce options seem like another planet to most of us in the States.

I'm really interested in how you do your food shopping and procurement by bike. When I gave up my car almost 2 years ago, my food shopping habits barely changed, I still do my shopping at farmers market and grocery stores that I get to on foot, by my usual subway line, or by bike. But for a big dinner party, or when I need to stock up on heavy staples (flour, canned tomatoes, etc.) there's no substitute for a car. How do you manage all these dinners?

Just kill me now. You people out there have the most astounding shopping options....

No kidding. And he hasn't even mentioned avacados.

Great stuff ScottyBoy.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

ScottyBoy, can you tell us a little about the pre-cooking bit of your business? For instance, do customers just ask you to cook them something and leave it up to you or do they make requests for certain things? Do you allow reasonable exclusions (e.g allergic to peanuts) so long as it doesn't created big complications for you? Have you ever made a vegetarian meal for customers? What is the largest number of guests you have cooked for?

Sorry for all my questions, I am very curious!

David No flouring of scallops but when they are as big as that I score them with my knife before searing/basting

Linda I have a very large backpack for my bike :smile: It's big enough the even fit a small cooler and ice while I ride with meats/seafood

Jenni Every menu is different. I ask the client to gather dietary restrictions for the group and I then design around those and what product I can get at the time. If there's only one person in the group that has an allergy or let's say a vegetarian, I change the dishes just for that person. Making them look and taste as similar as I can to the plates I put down for the rest of the group.

A visit to The Barrel Room in San Francisco to do a small tasting, the white Rioja was my favorite. My friend has just opened this wine bar, I'm talking to her about doing tasting dinners maybe every 6 weeks.

Barrel.jpg

Barrel 2.jpg

barrel 3.jpg

Barrel 4.jpg

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

My eGullet Foodblog

Try Rare Wine Co.'s Madeiras: they are great. My favorite is the NY Malmsey which is on the sweeter side but much less so than most Madeiras you might drink. Their Charleston is squarely in the dry category; better as an aperitif than postprandial, though it's great of course with a cheese plate.

nunc est bibendum...

A quick trip over to SF. Pictures of the Ferry Building which is filled with food shops and restaurants. The famous Bocalone "meat cone". The farmer's market in full swing out front.

But I ventured over mainly to hit up Golden Gate Meat Company to pick up some Snake River Farms Kobe coullotte steak to mess around with. It's good to have a wholesale warehouse of meat in my life :biggrin:

SF 5.jpg

SF 6.jpg

SF4.jpg

SF 2.jpg

SF.jpg

GG meat.jpg

GG meat 2.jpg

GG meat 3.jpg

SRF.jpg

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

My eGullet Foodblog

Pretty good marbling for a top sirloin cut.

Ooh la la -- that's one sexy coullotte. I've never seen top sirloin like that, the marbling and the cap, very nice.

Moe Sizlack

I'll just do one little post about the bike riding part of my life. My two bikes, a single speed for quick short trips and the road bike for long rides and heavy groceries. The backpacks I use, the little cooler fits into the large one for when I go on the long rides and a picture of the Bay Trail, a 500 mile paved bike road around the coastline of the Bay Area.

So the normal loop I go on for groceries is about 40 miles, most of which is spent on the coast with views of SF and the Bay. I'll post about the two markets I visited in a bit.

2765595413_83346b4823_z.jpeg

3931944759_b38590931d_z.jpeg

Bags.jpg

Bay trail.jpg

My eGullet Foodblog

Some quick bites I had on my trip today. An awesome pork skin taco, and some snow cones from a new little local truck. (It was 95 degrees today on my ride, snow cones = yes!) Chocolate-strawberry and lemon-hibiscus.

taco 2.jpg

Taco.jpg

Skylite.jpg

Snow cones.jpg

My eGullet Foodblog

. . . a single speed for quick short trips . . .

That looks like a velodrome bike. Just how quick and short are those trips?

Edited by Peter the eater (log)

Moe Sizlack