• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Foodblog: ScottyBoy (2011)

ScottyBoy

This is going to be a fabulous journey this week. I think many of us will be living our food dreams through your story. I've been working something like about 9 days in a row and to come home and read about our mutual love of food and cooking puts all the office stress on the back burner.

heidi - Those are my tomatoes! The larger one is a beefsteak but I'm growing sun golds, sweet 100's, russian stripes and early girls as well.

tri2cook - When I realized that I could actually make this happen after spending my time "in the trenches" I jumped on it!

Just got home, another great group of people who agreed to have their pictures be a part of this blog. So I get to the spot and bring every pot, pan, utensil and plate I need. When I get some time on my hands I'll break down each dish but right now I will post these and go to bed (After washing dishes). 14 hour day already. See you all tomorrow for a ride through SF, visit to one of my meat purveyors, favorite sandwich and much more!

Denise.jpg

Denise2.jpg

denise 3.jpg

Denise 4.jpg

Denise 6.jpg

Denise 7.jpg

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Making chicken skin crackers.

Lightly salted and pressed between two sheet pans with silpats. 250 degrees for 2 hours patting off the fat with a paper towel every once in a while.

I want to do this! Thanks for showing pictures :smile:

There are two dishes out of the six courses that I make every dinner, this soup and my desert. Right now it's chanterelles, I bulk it up with some button mushrooms too. Into a very hot shallow pot with some salt. When they start to brown a little I add the onions. It will all fry together until a deep brown. Then drained of all the oil I throw it in a pot with chicken stock and simmer for a bit. Blend and emulsify about 3 tablespoons of butter in the blender while it's hot. Strain it into a bowl. Finish the seasoning with some sherry vinegar and salt. Just enough vinegar so you can't smell or taste it but it helps the soup linger in your tongue. I froth up some milk with a little truffle oil so when you drink it out of a cup you smell the truffle and taste the soup.

shrooms.jpg

Shrooms2.jpg

shrooms3.jpg

shroom4.jpg

shroom5.jpg

Shroom6.jpg

My eGullet Foodblog

Oh yes! I always my skin crackers from fish as well, love salmon. I think it's really important especially when cooking anything with skin sous vide that you crisp it seperate.

Quick little picture of Fenton's Creamery. If you saw the Pixar movie "Up", this is the ice cream shop they were talking about.

Then some marin sun short ribs bagged with my beef demi and a scoop of beef fat. Into the water at 132 and I will eat you little guys on Wednesday!

Fentons.jpg

Short ribs.jpg

My eGullet Foodblog

When they come in my buddies at Tokyo fish market give me a call. $17 a pound. I love it since they are so big you can get a crust on both sides instead of just the top.

4185945745_2b01b283b0_z.jpg?zz=1

Yeah? We call that Bay scallop here. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

---------------

I feel sorry for whoever will be doing a blog after you. :hmmm:

dcarch

There are two dishes out of the six courses that I make every dinner, this soup and my desert. Right now it's chanterelles, I bulk it up with some button mushrooms too. Into a very hot shallow pot with some salt. When they start to brown a little I add the onions. It will all fry together until a deep brown. Then drained of all the oil I throw it in a pot with chicken stock and simmer for a bit. Blend and emulsify about 3 tablespoons of butter in the blender while it's hot. Strain it into a bowl. Finish the seasoning with some sherry vinegar and salt. Just enough vinegar so you can't smell or taste it but it helps the soup linger in your tongue. I froth up some milk with a little truffle oil so when you drink it out of a cup you smell the truffle and taste the soup.

Beautiful mushrooms. Do you wash them or just wipe them to get them clean? I know there are different schools of thoughts on that topic. I usually start by wiping them, but give up after 5 minutes and just rinse them instead...

It's great to see the prep that goes into the wonderful dishes that you've been sharing with us! I can't wait to read the rest of your blog.

When they come in my buddies at Tokyo fish market give me a call. $17 a pound. I love it since they are so big you can get a crust on both sides instead of just the top.

4185945745_2b01b283b0_z.jpg?zz=1

You could flatten that monster and do all kinds of interesting things...scallop scallopini?

Lunch time!

I have been going to True Burger since it opened. They do it right. The bun is always very key for me and it's a custom egg bun lightly toasted on the griddle. Garlic aoli, heirloom tomato (durring the season) and angus beef ground in house. Let me just mention that I am a big fan of american cheese on my sandwichs and burgers... AND my favorite root beer is served there. Perfection in a burger for me.

true burger 4.jpg

True burger 3.jpg

True burger 2.jpg

True burger.jpg

My eGullet Foodblog

A visit to "580 farm". My friend bought this house about a year ago and it's his dream to develop all the land to grow veggies and raise animals. He supplies me with tomatoes and eggs but the sky is the limit as you can see. this is only half of his back yard. I like to say my food is somewhat "hyper local" considering if I don't grow it I get it from friends and community gardens. Of course meat and seafood is as local as I can find but people need to know that these folks are out there and they have extra!

580 6.jpg

580 4.jpg

580 7.jpg

580.jpg

My eGullet Foodblog

Lunch time!

I have been going to True Burger since it opened. They do it right. The bun is always very key for me and it's a custom egg bun lightly toasted on the griddle. Garlic aoli, heirloom tomato (durring the season) and angus beef ground in house. Let me just mention that I am a big fan of american cheese on my sandwichs and burgers... AND my favorite root beer is served there. Perfection in a burger for me.

Now I want to try this place out. Where is it located?

Christine

If you're in the area it's either True Burger in Oakland or the Five Ten Burger truck which moves around. It's really a toss up for me, both are great, just spoiled with choices I guess.

My eGullet Foodblog

Yes that is key as well. I'm just getting to the end and only now has it broken a little. Even on a juicy double burger it handles it. As you can see it was just a little wet since I had gotten it to go. Solid fries...very crispy then fluffy in the middle.

My eGullet Foodblog

Yes that is key as well. I'm just getting to the end and only now has it broken a little. Even on a juicy double burger it handles it. As you can see it was just a little wet since I had gotten it to go. Solid fries...very crispy then fluffy in the middle.

Make me even more jealous. How much?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?