• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scallop roe - eating it raw?

rarerollingobject

I'm going to try them raw..is it THAT different from eating sea urchin, which I do all the time? And if I was diving and found a scallop, I can see myself prying it open and slurping it down with no hesitation. Let's just hope I get particularly fresh ones!

Updating my will as we speak,

RRO

Uh ooh. We haven't heard from RRO lately. Are you still with us? I hope so. :smile:

I'm going to try them raw..is it THAT different from eating sea urchin, which I do all the time? And if I was diving and found a scallop, I can see myself prying it open and slurping it down with no hesitation. Let's just hope I get particularly fresh ones!

RRO

Uh ooh. We haven't heard from RRO lately. Are you still with us? I hope so. :smile:

Heh..reports of my death are greatly exaggerated. I would know if I died, as I would have heard my staffmembers celebrating by now. :wink:

Thanks so much for the scallop roe prep link, Nick (is it Nick??). I did read it and am duly chastened, however being an irrational trollop for scallops, think I am still going to try it - not in quantity, maybe just 1 or 2, and from shell scallops only (easier to gauge freshness) and ones caught in Australian waters.

We have a good fish market here in Sydney - second biggest in the world, so it's got good turnover and freshness - and I'm headed there tomorrow to pick up the makings of my last meal. Will post pics!

RRO

Heh..reports of my death are greatly exaggerated. I would know if I died, as I would have heard my staffmembers celebrating by now. :wink:

Thanks so much for the scallop roe prep link, Nick (is it Nick??). I did read it and am duly chastened, however being an irrational trollop for scallops, think I am still going to try it - not in quantity, maybe just 1 or 2, and from shell scallops only (easier to gauge freshness) and ones caught in Australian waters.

We have a good fish market here in Sydney - second biggest in the world, so it's got good turnover and freshness - and I'm headed there tomorrow to pick up the makings of my last meal. Will post pics!

Ha. Relief. We didn't lose you on that last deep dive looking for the best in scallop roe. :shock:

Yes. Nick. But how did you know that? :unsure:

Ha. Relief. We didn't lose you on that last deep dive looking for the best in scallop roe. :shock:

Yes. Nick. But how did you know that? :unsure:

You said somewhere you used to post as Nick? Unless 'Nick' was just an internet nick, which could get quite meta.

I did say that in the last knife sharpening thread, but didn't know you got into knife sharpening. Not an internet nick, it's my nickname....

Anyhow, glad you haven't od'd on scallop roe - and that you gave "breast milk" Jones something to think about...

Well, I did it, and so far, am still here (though it's only been 20 minutes).

Scallops, fresh in shell, with roe and topped with a little tobiko (I cleaned them out of the shells and then placed them back in)

2011-09-24 at 12.07.30.jpg

How did the roe taste? The texture was firm but gelatinous, like a firm custard, and it tasted a little like lobster tomalley or prawn heads, but with a slightly bitter/murky tone and a bit of a metallic aftertaste.

In short, it was interesting and old sea dogs would find it quite reminiscent of many other kinds of roe/ozone-y seafood tastes, but it wasn't all that delicious in its own right per se..next time will try the prep a la _john.

Are you saying they taste O.K. but not to die for?

They look so good.

dcarch

They taste OK, but not good enough for risk serious food poisoning for! I can't really recommend them, eGulleters.

The scallops themselves, on the other hand, were heavenly..sweet and oceanic and tasting of all the good things in the sea.

Glad to see you're still with us rro, you've really earned your eG wings on this mission soldier. Well done!

Was there any differnce in texture and taste between the bright red female roe and the milky white male 'roe'?

Such a pretty picture. Good choice of the blue plate to contrast the yellow and red roe.

Thank you! It was just an iPhone pic snapped before gobbling, but the scallops themselves are so pretty it was hard to go wrong.

Glad to see you're still with us rro, you've really earned your eG wings on this mission soldier. Well done!

Was there any differnce in texture and taste between the bright red female roe and the milky white male 'roe'?

Yes, I thought the male 'roe' was slightly sweeter, less bitter, a little muskier and more oceany. Not a huge difference but I did prefer the taste of it..which is, you know, about right. :raz: