• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Name/brand of couverture chocolate to use to make creamy fudge?

Mandy

Dear Everyone:

Now that I have the science of making fudge down to where it does not crystallize on me, I am now focusing on the taste of the chocolate. I'm looking for a name of a couverture chocolate that I can use to make a creamy, melt in your mouth fudge.

Does anyone know what kind of chocolate Rocky mountain uses? I bought some of there fudge and that is the taste that I am trying to achieve. Just a smooth, not to over powering taste of chocolate.

I used Guittard chocolate (don't remember if it is dark chocolate-bitter chocolate or what) but that came out not tasting right-a bitter ahhh taste. I also used Felchlin Gastro 58% Rondo and that is more along the lines of the creamy, melt in your mouth taste that I am trying to achieve.

Since there are so many different chocolates out on the market, can anyone direct me to the chocolate that I can use? Please provide a name, coco %?

Thanks

Mandy..

I worked with someone that made fudge with Valrhona chocolate (that was sold in a shop) and it was a big hit!

Specifically she used Caramelia (a milk chocolate with hints of toffee), Ivoire (white) and Caraibe 66%.

I am not a big fan of fudge for the simple fact that it's too sweet for my palette. But trying fudge made with Valrhona chocolate took it to the next level.