• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Patisseries & Chocolate Shops in Vancouver?

dhardy123

I would visit Thomas Haas, he makes everything from scratch, including his soft drinks. I have taken classes from him, and he's great teacher in addition to being a very talented chef. His philosophy is that maybe only 2 people out of 20 can tell the difference between good chocolate and great chocolate -and he wants to cater to those two people. You can see more on his Facebook Page.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I will try to visit as many as I can and report back

Can't wait to hear about it. It's been a few years since I've been out that way. Really liked Chocolate Arts, wasn't a huge fan of Haas.

I agree with gingerpeachy. Thierry's macarons met my high standards when I tried them a couple months ago - flavours included lime (there was lime zest in the buttercream), passionfruit, strawberry rhubarb, apricot pistachio, coffee and milk chocolate. The vegetable quiche was surprisingly excellent - the consistency of the egg was flan-like (not overcooked as it often is), and the crust was buttery & crumbly but not heavy, with a layer of toasty cheese on the bottom.

As for croissants, lots of people feel that Thomas Haas has the best almond croissants - they are double-baked, flaky & so rich. Bonus: you can call & order them ahead of time so you don't have to wait for them to bring out the next batch (they often run out).

Faubourg in Kerrisdale is great.

Some of my favourite confections are made by Wendy Boys of Cocolico. She doesn't have a storefront, but she often attends events or gives classes, or you can contact her through cocolico.ca. She also makes macarons!

I think Edible Canada on Granville Island sells some Wendy Boys products.

Cheers,

Anne