• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mango Pitters

Shel_B

We eat mangos about three times a week, and it's getting to the point that I'd like to get a mango pitter. We usually eschew such gadgets, but it seems that this may be worthwhile for us.

So, are all mango pitters the same? What should I look for when selecting a pitter? Do some get closer to the pit than others? What's a good price for such a gadget?

Thanks!

... Shel

I'm in the one-mango-a-day camp, and I had no idea such gadgets even existed, or were necessary for that matter. With a nice sharp knife and a little skill, one can pit a mango in about 2 minutes with very little loss of flesh....

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Or you can buy a splitter and do it in five seconds... I have the OXO model, it works well.

ETA: Discussion on the OXO splitter here.

I agree with Chris. It did take me a while to try one because I thought my traditional method was just fine, but as I like gadgets, I did buy one and found it worked great.

However I managed to break the first one I got so upgraded to the stainless model - not that much difference in price.

(Also upgraded to the stainless pineapple corer/slicer because I managed to chip one of the blades on the plastic one.)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

OK, you've almost won me over. But how does this gadget perform on non-Tommy mangoes? About 99% of what I eat are Reina, Julie, Keitt, and Kent, with some Ambassador and Alfonso thrown in for good measure (although those last two are definitely not slicing mangoes). It's a rare day at the end of the season that I even see Tommy Atkins mangoes at the market. This means that I'm often working with less than standard shapes and pit sizes.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

OK, you've almost won me over. But how does this gadget perform on non-Tommy mangoes? About 99% of what I eat are Reina, Julie, Keitt, and Kent, with some Ambassador and Alfonso thrown in for good measure (although those last two are definitely not slicing mangoes). It's a rare day at the end of the season that I even see Tommy Atkins mangoes at the market. This means that I'm often working with less than standard shapes and pit sizes.

It doesn't work on the jumbo-sized mangoes that I often find at the Mexican market but it has worked fine on all the others as long as they are not overripe.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

As have been said, mangoes come in different sizes and shapes. Some are very ripe and some are not.

I have not found a tool that can work for all. Also, the way the tools work, you waste a lot of good mango. Mangoes in many areas are expensive.

I have searched the internet, youtube, etc., there are many demonstrations on how to cut and peel a mango. I have not found a way that I like.

So I have developed my own way to cut and peel a mango. It works with all kind of mangoes, and this method will get the last drop of mango meat without any waste, and no messy hands either.

Please, don't mangle your mango. :-)

dcarch

mangoa.jpg

Sliced mango with mango ice cream

mango2-2.jpg

I use my Gray Kunz plating spoon for this task. In fact, it's become one of the most reached-for objects in my kit.

But now that I've seen dcarch's trick, I am SO using that next time I need to break down mangoes. Bet none of the chefs at work have seen THAT.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

decarch-Pure genius

Agreed. I'm buying a bunch at the market tomorrow to practice.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

dcarch: Pure unadulterated genius. Really. Won't ever try that any other way from now on. You rock. Thanks for sharing.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Terrific method. I wish I could grip with my left hand well enough to use it.

Great method and video, dcarch! Loved seeing your hands (one of my little idiosyncrasies) and wish you'd have narrated (I like voices, too :rolleyes: ). Like Andie, I'm not sure that my left hand is up to the corkscrew trick, but I'm going to try it next time. Mangos are slipperly little suckers and even wearing gloves doesn't completely solve the problem. That said, I still love my pitter and will continue to use it. I peel with a Y-peeler (one of the few things I use that kind of peeler for) and then the pit is gone in a second. I almost always get the same kind of mango and they have always fit the pitter just fine.

My my isn't your mango firm dcarch! :laugh:

Indian and Pakistani mangoes are my favourite fruit and I eat so many when they're in season from April to August. Alphonso, kesar, badami, sindhri, chaunsa are the most commonly available variety in the uk. They are all very sweet and perfumed, the flesh is virtually all pulp with no fibre. So much so that you can eat them by squeezing till they liquify in their skins. You then bite a little hole and suck out all the pulp. There's no wastage. With all the varieties i've mentioned I can't see that a mango splitter or the corkscrew method working at all. They are just too juicy and soft.

Thank you all. Sharing ideas is always fun.

I eat a lot of mangoes, I also like making mango ice cream and dehydrated mango leather. I had to find a good way to peel and cut a mango.

Prawncrackers, we (NYC) don't have the kinds of mangoes that you have. You are lucky. The mangoes we have here are all picked very green and after they are ripe, they are not perfumy at all.

dcarch

THIS New Yorker gets mangoes similar to the ones Prawncrackers describes; "Champagne" or other brands of ataulfo mangoes :wub: appear in the spring for a few months and are fabulous. As stated, they wouldn't work with the splitter or corkscrew - they are far too delicate of flesh and the pit too small and thin.

The next time I get a Tommy Atkins mango, I'll try the corkscrew trick...but ataulfos have somewhat spoiled me on other types!

Edited by baroness (log)