• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ceramic Lined Pan?

brittonv

Greetings,

While watching Hell's kitchen a pan caught my eye and I can not seem to figure out what it is.

I have attached a screen shot to this post. If you notice the Blueish looking skillet in the bottom left hand side of the screen.

What is it? My best guess is some kind of Ceramic coated skillet of some sort.

pan.png

It's definitely a 'GreenPan', i have the exact same pan posted by rotuts. They're okay, it's my main everyday pan for frying anything; eggs, bacon etc. The non-stick coating on them isn't as non-stick as they'd have you believe though. Fried eggs will stick like hell without plenty of grease. My mother in law stayed with us for a couple of weeks, tried to cook breakfast in it a couple of times and the burnt mess was spectacular. They do clean up nicely though, even now after a year the pan looks brand new. I think the big selling point is the high heat capability over the more traditional teflon non-stick.

ETA: it's a good stove to oven pan too!

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)

Thank you for the links and the info.

While I have all-clad cookware, I don't own a non-stick pan as I don't trust them for some reason....

Do you know if these will work on an induction stove (which I love).

@ Pawncrackers, do you cook eggs in this pan? I presume if you preheat it a bit its ok?

Thanks for all the help!!!

I don't own a non-stick pan as I don't trust them for some reason...

Please elaborate :biggrin:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Brittonv, yup the pan works on induction. If your main criteria for buying a non-stick pan is non-stickability then this pan isn't for you. It won't pass the no-oil-fried-egg cooking demo but for durability it's pretty good. There's not a scratch on it after a year. The light colour of the lining is good for sauces, which is another benefit over trad non-stick pans.

I don't own a non-stick pan as I don't trust them for some reason...

Please elaborate :biggrin:

Easy, as I have the painful combination of dumb and paranoid.

I like to preheat pans, and all the stuff about Teflon and 300/500/662 Degrees dead birds. I'm sure I am over reacting, but that's my choice.

I mean Teflon was created by mistake, a mistake that most people love!! I'd just rather not use them or find another solution....

Currently I use Cast Iron for most stuff, but I have never done the "Dry Fried Egg Test", People cook eggs without butter... gross ;-)

I looked at some reviews of 'green' non stick pans in 2009, but they were not good.

Brittonv, yup the pan works on induction. If your main criteria for buying a non-stick pan is non-stickability then this pan isn't for you. It won't pass the no-oil-fried-egg cooking demo but for durability it's pretty good. There's not a scratch on it after a year. The light colour of the lining is good for sauces, which is another benefit over trad non-stick pans.

More like nostickish. I want it for cooking fish, sauteing when I am not looking to make a pan sauce. So I want my brown yummies to stick on the food rather than create fond...

I want it to release an egg when cooked in a little butter, or an omlet. Scrambble eggs, know what I mean

• 1 month later...